Keeping the boom from sliding down the mast

Moderator: GreenLake

Keeping the boom from sliding down the mast

Postby InterlochenDood » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 pm

What is the best way to keep the boom from sliding down the mast?
InterlochenDood

Re: Keeping the boom from sliding down the mast

Postby tomodda » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:37 pm

I use a mast track stopper:

https://www.sailrite.com/Sail-Track-Stop-Round

When I'm in too much of a hurry too fiddle around with the screw on my otherwise fantastic stopper, then I simple loop a piece of line under my gooseneck and tie it off to my spinnaker ring. It's my quick and dirty stopper, I mostly use it when I'm doing unexpected reefing (as in I didn't follow the rule of "reef before you need it").
tomodda

Postby InterlochenDood » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:47 pm

Thank you. I purchased one of those but it does not slide in the track. I understand from PO that this was a replacement mast so maybe slightly smaller slot for the sail/stopper to slide into. I tried sanding it down but it is made of metal so not getting very far. I don't have a spinnaker ring so maybe just install a cleat on the mast?
InterlochenDood

Postby tomodda » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Stationary grinder or take it to a machine shop. Or just measure your mast slot and buy another.

Dunno about installing a cleat for what's just a temporary loop of rope. High on the mast, they tend to snag on things. Maybe just a pad eye?
tomodda

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:33 am

I used a sail stop with the round nut to tension the stop. I believe it was made by Davis. My problem with it was I had to use a pliers to get it tight enough so the boom would not slide down. I found a track stop with a lever on it. You can adjust the amount of tension and then push down the lever. If you want to move the boom up after dousing the main release the lever move the boom up and reset the lever. It was made by mastgate.com Works great!!!!

John
jalmeida51

Return to Rigging