Outhaul Setup on Daysailer II?

Moderator: GreenLake

Outhaul Setup on Daysailer II?

Postby JoeCapeCod » Fri May 06, 2022 12:50 pm

I've recently bought a 84 Daysailer II and want to rig my main outhaul. I am an experienced Lightning/Rhodes 19/J-22/Bristol 27.7 sailor so have a good idea of how to set up an outhaul, but am curious to have some input for the Daysailer community on the setup on my boom, which has a riveted fitting with a V-slot about 2/3rd's of the way between the end of the boom and the gooseneck on the side of the boom. What are some of the "standard" or alternative setups....for example, a turning block at the boom end and a no-purchase line straight into the fitting where it secures without purchase by pulling the line into the V and pulling it tight? Or have others used a system with a rig that provides some purchase with additional blocks? (I note that there is also a riveted V-slot fitting for the boom vang, though I assume that is meant to take a ball-type end on a wire attached to the boom-side end of the vang with the blocks suspended between boom and mast with the lower block attached to the mast with a loop of line-- such as the vang D&R sells.) In any case, will look forward to hearing-- and maybe even seeing-- what you suggest regarding the outhaul.
JoeCapeCod

Re: Outhaul Setup on Daysailer II?

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 06, 2022 3:46 pm

The image shows the end of my boom. The (x) marks the spot where there's an eyestrap on the opposite side for the reef line. The outhaul goes forward from the end (on the side not visible in the photo) to a V-cleat partway along the boom. The location chosen to where it can be reached under way. (The free tail is attached to a thin bit of bungee cord pulling it forward to lift it out of the way, but that also means the outhaul can be grabbed along the entire length of the tail)

The 3:1 purchase uses a shortcut: one turning block is replaced by looping the outhaul back through the grommet. The alternative would have lost adjustment range, but the downside is increased friction. The latter has proved acceptable in use.

Hope this gives you an idea.

(My boat is a DS1, but in that respect there's no difference between the models)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Outhaul Setup on Daysailer II?

Postby JoeCapeCod » Sat May 07, 2022 1:35 pm

Got it. Thanks!
JoeCapeCod

Return to Rigging