Point me to traveler info…. Please.

Moderator: GreenLake

Point me to traveler info…. Please.

Postby Newbflat » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:20 pm

I have been looking around for info on setting up a “traveler” for end of boom sheeting. I have a new to me DS2 and need to get that boom under better control. We have a 20:1 vang in process and a ratchet block for the main sheet on its way.. Mostly I’m interested in options/photos and descriptions of use. I see the set up with the center block on a line running to two blocks on the aft quarters, then running threw a center turning block with a Cam cleat and tail. I’m not exactly sure how you run this as a “traveler”. I’m use to a center cockpit traveler and playing the car. I realize the vang will do much of this duty but I’m having a hard time envisioning how you manage the boom with the end of boom traveler like what’s the adjustment for and how and when to use it. I have been looking for a thread about this but haven’t really con access one that answers my questions.
Newbflat

Re: Point me to traveler info…. Please.

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm

You may be expecting too much...

With your (coming) vang, my suspicion is that you might find the traveler not as critical -- unless you determine that you somehow need to be able to pull the boom higher than centerline.

The typical setup on a DS is not that adjustable and mainly redirects the angle of pull to align with the stern quarter rather than some point on the centerline of the boat. Also, it reduces the length of doubled mainsheet a bit, but that's secondary.

Usually they are set up so that the boom ends up just a bit below centerline when tight, but closer than if you used center boom sheeting.(There's a rigging guild on the DSA main site - https://daysailer.org that I've been following loosely).

However, if you want to mount a track on the transom: there are no class rules to get in your way, and perhaps such a setup fits your style better.

Some people have used split-tail mainsheet rigging, but if you do that, you don't get the 2:1 purchase at the end of the boom.

Out of curiosity: how is your boat rigged today? Simple center boom sheeting?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Newbflat » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:36 pm

It’s rigged like a picture in an old manual from the 60’s or 70’s. From the end of the boom to a quarter block, across the transom to the other quarter block and back to the block on the end of the boom… then it runs up the boom to a mid boom block and down to a turning block and cam cleat.

Having never used vang sheeting befor it’s all new to me so I’m not sure what to expect.
Newbflat

Postby bobbilly » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:24 am

There is one article on DSA website. Also, try these.

Lately, some have simply gone to a split main sheet, meaning no traveler and use the vang for "vang sheeting."
bobbilly

Postby Newbflat » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:50 am

bobbilly wrote:There is one article on DSA website. Also, try these.

Lately, some have simply gone to a split main sheet, meaning no traveler and use the vang for "vang sheeting."

Yes, I have seen it mentioned. Any idea of the advantages? I imagine less purchase is a disadvantage. Being that this will be used to teach some people to sail who might not be the strongest, maybe it’s not the best idea. A short main sheet are sure nice though.
Newbflat

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:05 pm

Newbflat wrote:Having never used vang sheeting before it’s all new to me so I’m not sure what to expect.

I'm running a 12:1. I figured, I would start there, and if necessary add a cascade to get to 24:1. I've not seen the need for that, but it's an option.

Mine is not set up to "play" the vang, so I'm mainly using it to prevent the boom from rising when I release some main during a gust. That keeps the sail flat and I can tell it makes the stronger gusts easier to handle.

I've similarly been stymied in my attempts at finding a good source that explains the finer points of this technique in ways I find accessible. Let us know if you get lucky.

What I do is adjust the vang to average conditions, resetting it at times as the wind changes, but otherwise I don't actively adjust it in real time. For that level of use, a 12:1 has proven more than adequate.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging