Attaching jib cleats to CB housing

Moderator: GreenLake

Attaching jib cleats to CB housing

Postby James4 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:58 am

The original cleats were removed from the centerboard housing, and I'm going to put them back on. The holes have been filled. I could really use advice on how to do this. If I don't get a picture of the original setup, I'll probably attach a piece of very hard wood to the housing. Then I'll put on wedges and screw the cleats down through the wedges. I'm very curious (make that nervous) about drilling into the housing. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jim
James4

Re: Attaching jib cleats to CB housing

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:25 am

You don't mention whether this is for a DS1 or DS2.

I had a piece of SS channel cut and drilled by a shop. This allowed me to drill sideways for the through bolts. Their location ended up just barely inside the trunk, but the CB never touches them when raised.

(On a DS2, you may have to contend with the liner being separate from the actual trunk.)

The CB is a bit lower than the fairleads, so you will need to angle the cleats. Either by providing an angled seat, or using the wedges that cleat manufacturers supply for this purpose.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby James4 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:39 am

Greenlake, thank you for your suggestion. I'll probably follow it. I was hopeful that I could attach the new cleats through the original holes which have been filled with some kind of hardening glue (perhaps epoxy). But I like your idea, and unless I hear something I like better, I'll make some calls tomorrow about getting some stainless bent and drilled. And it's a DS II. Thanks, Jim
James4

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:56 am

One advantage of the setup is that you are positive that the screws holding the cleats are properly fastened. The bolts holding the base plate simply go into lock nuts. However, you might want to get a bit of rigging tape to protect against hard edges on the heads and nuts. I also use rigging tape (self amalgamating tape) on spreader ends (as I have no rubber "boots") there.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging