tabernacle height above deck

Moderator: GreenLake

tabernacle height above deck

Postby HvB » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:50 pm

In order to fix my tabernacle-mounted broken mast I will loose about 2 inches of mast height. Accordingly the boom will be lower by the same 2 inches unless I shorten the luff of the main. I could restore the 2 inches of boom height by using a 2-inch longer post between the tabernacle and the keel. This would place the tabernacle 2 inches above the deck instead of flush with the deck where it was. Do I create a problem by doing that.
Thanks for any thoughts.
HvB

Re: tabernacle height above deck

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Hans, first-off you'll notice that I've moved your post to the "Rigging" section, because that's where this kind of question fits best. There will be a "shadow" topic at the old location for a short period until everyone has found the new location.

Secondly, you are on the right track. What you want to do is put a pedestal under your compression post / lower mast segment to raise it by the required distance. Any material will work as long as it can withstand about 300# of pressure (with safety factor) and is rot proof.

Within a few inches, I think you create less of a problem by raising the tabernacle (hinge), than you would create by shortening your main and stays. You or a future owner will eventually need to replace that sail, and it's always better not to have to get something that's a one-off custom design.

Good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby HvB » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:46 pm

Thanks GreenLake. Sorry for misplacing my post. Had wanted to put it in rigging but did not know how to. You gave me the answer I needed, regardless if I raise the tabernacle by means of a 2" longer compression post or by building a pedestal under the present post.
HvB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:45 pm

Yeah, no big deal, your new post is created in whatever section you are viewing when you press the "New Topic" button.

You are right of course, if you can swap out against a longer compression post, that would work.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging