Conversion to a Hinged Mast

Moderator: GreenLake

Conversion to a Hinged Mast

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 25, 1998 12:00 am

I have a single piece mast on my day sailer. It's a real hassle to step. It requires two people to step; one to hold the foot of the mast steady over the cuddy hole and the other to walk the mast up.

My question is: is it possible to convert the single piece mast into a hinged mast or should I just aquire a new or used hinged mast?

Any insights would be appreciated.
Nick Hoover
Idamae - Austin Texas

Nick Hoover (nick.hoover-at-tdh.state.tx.us)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 25, 1998 12:00 am

Check out "Bailers and Boom Bits" in the Category: Repair and Improvement on this site.

Some of us have noticed the jib sheets can hang on the hinge during tacks. I've installed a shock cord from each chain plate to just above the hinge on the mast to keep the sheets from binding in this area. The disadvantage of this fix is a potential trip-line on the deck. Any other fixes?

John C
DSII 10551

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 26, 1998 12:00 am

I have just completed converting my one piece DS1 mast to a hinged one myself. I purchased the hinged mast step from Dwyer. Their e-mail address is on this site's home page, and they are a great help. I had no problem with the installation, but 2 bits of advice. First, make sure that the position of the hinge doesn't interfere with any of the existing hardware on the mast such as halyard cheek blocks and the like, and make sure the lines will still run fairly. The addage "measure twice, cut once" comes to mind. Secondly, the fitting fits tightly into the mast, so you may need to use a hammer to seat it properly. DO NOT hammer directly on any of the cast fittings, they will break. The hinge works like a charm, my mate and I may have had our last mast fight!

Eric Sunstrum (esunstru-at-sprint.ca)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 04, 1999 1:00 am

I have an old DS1 with a 25' mast that is keel stepped.
The old scottish fellow I purchased it from, stepped the mast by himself and after a bit of practise I found out it's a matter of balance, just like tossing the caberrrr.
Helps if you have a low trailer.
Pick up the mast midpoint while standing on the cuddy forward of the cuddy mast hole, move hands up the mast until the butt end gently touches the ground. slide hands down mast pulling in with the bottom hand until the mast is upright on the ground directly port or starboard of the cuddy mast hole. Lift the mast straight up keeping it vertical and place it on the deck. Wait a few seconds then lift again, keeping the balance, and pop it in the hole down to the keel. At this point if you are lucky the mast will slide over the pin on the keel. If not, go below and guide it on from there. The mast will stay upright even if not on the pin until you get under the cuddy.
To remove it, stand on the cuddy, pull up with both hands on the mast with enough force to lift the mast to just clear of the hole, then let the mast fall. As it starts to fall, quickly, slide hands to midpoint of mast so the end does not crash into the ground. Make sure there are no boats or people where the end of the mast will fall, just in case. I am 5' 8 and the previous owner was even shorter. Only once did I have a problem while removing it. I did not move my hands quick enough to the midpoint and the mast hit the ground, but not hard enough to cause any damage.
I posted a previous message "DS1" and wondering if anyone will respond.

James Gibson (jamesgibson-at-canoemail.com)

Return to Rigging