solo rigging

Moderator: GreenLake

solo rigging

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:08 am

Hello,
I have an O'day 19. I want to be able to step the mast (keel step) by my self, however being able to get the butt of the mast through the deck hole is very difficult while holding the length of the mast upright till it slides down. Any suggestions for solo rigging?
Thanks,
MK

MK Stein (mks3029-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:17 pm

Use the search function to find posts on "mast stepping" and "tabernacle". You'll find that most of us that singlehand have had our masts cut at a point slightly (3" or so) above the cuddy roof, and then installed a tabernacle (a sort of hinge) between the two sections. This allows the lower portion to stay permanently installed and poking up through the roof, and the top portion easily hinged and "walked up" to a standing position when ready to rig. Overcome the gut-wrenching fear of cutting your mast (measure twice, cut once!) and you'll be a happy sailor. Last suggestion: call Rudy at D&R Marine (link is listed on this site) and he'll sell you a tabernacle that will fit; you might also take this opportunity to upgrade the standing rigging to 3/16".

Tom (tom.beames-at-wachovia.com)

stepping the mast

Postby gerald » Tue May 09, 2006 8:19 pm

but if you take it slow and arent in too much wind you can do it yourself, the problem then is getting the mast over the mast step inside the cabin..usually theres someone near the boat ramp to help me spot it but I am thinking of getting a mirror so I can see it from the top....I like having a full length mast which is the way it was designed to be....good sailing...

gerald
dsII 10169
"Dreamsicle"
gerald

Return to Rigging