recutting an old jib

Moderator: GreenLake

recutting an old jib

Postby jdoorly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Some say this is a bad idea, patching old cloth with new, wineskins and such... But I got time and and am willing to try.

I tried to use the drawing of the jib in the ds handbook but none of my measurement worked out, I think it's aspect ratio is wrong. So, I drew up my own version. Here's the idea (in inches)...

[thumb=918]

Cut off the bottom of the sail leaving room for a tabling or hem on the edge, use the old bottom to build reinforcement patches and attach "D" rings with nylon webbing for tack and clew. Perhaps sew in some more reiforcement along stress vectors, and tie on a tack pennant to set height and fairlead angle. Maybe a couple darts to put back some shape. The cut will drop sail area to 42% or 26sqft.

I'm redesigning my companion way mod, but that's another story. However, this will allow me to once again lead halyards to the cockpit and will also let me put to use my "battle axe"- a lever with a pivot and a cam cleat that will let me snug up the halyards, a problem in the past.
[thumb=919]
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:36 am

J,

looks like this might work. As always, let us know when its done and when you've had a chance to try it in a blow.

Some say this is a bad idea, patching old cloth with new, wineskins and such... But I got time and and am willing to try.

One of these days, you'll be confident/rich enough to work with new sailcloth. Then this objection wouldn't apply. :)

Clever thing your halyard tensioner.[/quote]
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:18 am

Jay - You continue to amaze me with all your mods. You have really equipped your boat with a lot of ingenuity. I like your halyard tensioner. Looks like something we use in my neck of the woods to tighten the load chains on our logging trucks. I can see the value on tightening the halyards but you have to be careful not to overstress your pulley blocks. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby jdoorly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks Brad. During my last sail of the year both my son and myself were hanging on the jib halyard trying to tighten it and couldn't. I hope this works!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Recutting old jib

Postby ChrisB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 am

Jay,

I'm curious if you cut your old jib down to a smaller size and if you have had a chance to use it.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jdoorly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes Chris I did cut it and added the required reinforcements, tabs, and hems and holes. I put it up just to look at it, but I haven't had to use it yet. Neither have I used the second reef. I anticipate that it will work well being flatter and smaller than my standard jib. I do tend to reef earlier than normal since I sail alone and my auto-helm doesn't like heel. I took a lot of hours to finish (I did it all by hand) but enjoyed doing it. I've learned to use the machine since them and will surely use that where appropriate in the future. Of course, buying a used jib from a smaller boat is an option, but I think it should probably be reinforced to take the higher wind range. I added extra cloth to the luff and extra patch reinforcements in clew, tack and head, and webbing through the rings at the clew, tack, and head. I may have overdone it but that's better in my mind to underdone it.

My jib and UPS are both on furlers, but I keep a permanent forestay out ahead of them (on a sprit) to raise the mast (with the a-frame) and deploy/hank-on the storm sail. I replaced the fish-hooky 3/32" wire forestay with 1/8" amsteel (dyneema) line. I highly prefer the single braid amsteel due to it's ease of splicing/unsplicing but you need the Selma #4 splicing fid, it's both the best and the cheapest at $7.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Return to Sails