Sail storage on boom revisited...

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Sail storage on boom revisited...

Postby cwhite » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for the input. Greenlake, what kind of cover do you use? I am still on the fence regarding a boom cover for the sail, a cockpit cover for the sail and cockpit, or a mooring cover to do it all. My concern with the larger covers is that they will be awkward or inconvenient to put on and take off. My goal for slugs and a cover was to reduce the time and complexity to go from the dock to sailing. My boat is stored on the water at a dock. I sail with my wife and 6yr old son, and speed and simplicity are key for a good time. I have been looking at the covers made by the Sailors Tailor Inc.
cwhite

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:46 am

I don't keep my boat on the water, so cover is simply a 20x12 tarp over the mast. I've used the white ones with good success, but looks like the store I get them from has switched suppliers, the new ones don't have the same "feel", will see how they work out. I've gotten multiple seasons out of them.

When you are on a mooring, you have a different configuration, because the geometry becomes trickier. The boat still has some of the snaps attached where a previous owner had a cockpit cover attached. (Around the front of the cuddy). How this was held up (boom?) can't be reconstructed. The same owner left snaps on the seats, so must have had bench cushions.

If you want the convenience of a sail cover (so that the sail can be stored on the boom) I would go for a boom-tent that attaches below the boom, rather than being stretched over it. Some people have succeeded in adapting the outer shells of recreational tents for the purpose. Even attaching to the boom from below allows some tension to be set up to stretch the fabric. If you need to use it for camping, you might bring some of those bendable fiberglass poles to turn the triangle profile into a half-round.

Many solutions like that could be quite functional and because you'd be adapting something that's mass-produced, could be cheaper than any custom job.

By request, the discussion of tents for sleeping has been split and moved to:Sleeping on board, revisited..
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm

cbwhite:

If you have a DS1 and keep the boat on the water, you probably need a mooring cover. THe DS 1 will not drain from the cockpit - the low point is at the mast, so water will collect until it reaches the level of the transom drain. I bought a Sailor's Tailor cover, and it is a bit putzy. Easier from in the water, but I can do it from the boat itself.
For other reasons I bought a boat lift and have configued the bunks so the bow is higher than the stern. Now it would drain any rainwater, but I still use my cover.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:38 pm

Some DS1's have a separate drain aft of the CB. Mine does, although it's rusted in place and got epoxied over when I did the bottom. Not needed for trailer storage, because it's easy to tilt the trailer a bit, but could be useful for other, on the hard options, unless you have a reliable cover.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Sails