Missing sail attchment at free end of boom

Moderator: GreenLake

Missing sail attchment at free end of boom

Postby Windnsails » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:53 pm

While going through my recently acquired DSIII stuff, I realized the hardware to attach the free end of boom to sail is missing. What is normally used here on DS 2 or 3?

I used to race large boats and have seen several setups. There does not seem to be the space for an adjustable out haul, yet some of the posts on this forum talk about them. I'd be interested in learning the ropes on this topic for the DS.
- Jim
Windnsails

Re: Missing sail attchment at free end of boom

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:49 am

Jim, the aft boom end cap should have two holes like this:

AFT BOOM END CAP.jpg
AFT BOOM END CAP.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 9142 times

The upper aft hole is for the topping lift, and the lower forward hole is for the outhaul. There should be a cleat about halfway back on the starboard side of the boom, horn cleat or clam cleat or similar. Typically, the outhaul line is tied to the clew cringle on the main, led through the cap hole, and then forward to the cleat. Some folks have attached a small block to the hole to reduce friction, others have set up two or more blocks for added purchase. I've found the single block to be more than adequate, using 3/16" line.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 am

I'm using much thinner line, I believe 3mm or at most 4mm from Robline FSE, and I also use a small double block lashed to the end boom fitting. Using the clew cringle both to attach the outhaul as well as a single block, I get a 3:1 purchase. (From clew, to double block, back to clew, to double block again, forward to V cleat along the boom.)

The picture shows a prototype setup with a separate single block, but I eliminated that one (the two blocks came chock-a-block a bit before the position for maximum outhaul tension). With the slippery line I use now, thinner and smoother than the one in the picture, the friction in the clew cringle is small enough I can use it instead of a block.

~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:02 pm

I use a small block as well for my outhaul. I was using the original 3 strand 1/4" line but I'm switching to braided 3/16" line.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Windnsails » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks bunches guys. This is just what I was hoping for.

In my big boat racing experience, I saw some of the outhauls with cars on a track but most just used a multi-purchase block system. My boat was missing everything that I was accustomed to seeing. Turns out there was probably a short piece of 3/16" in the sail bag somewhere and I just missed it.

So I can make it real simple or add some interest to it. Now that's the way I like it!
- Jim
Windnsails

Postby GreenLake » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:48 pm

My DS does not have a "car" but it has a slide sown into the sail which takes the brunt of the force from the leech. The sail on the DS isn't loose footed, but with a shelf sown in, the load would be concentrated on the last few inches of bolt-rope in the rear. That's why my sailmaker at least made a gap in the bolt-rope there and added a simple slide consisting of a 2" length of round plastic rod held onto the sail by a sown on webbing strap. This works effectively like a car.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:51 pm

My 8' dinghy has a loose footed sail and the clew is held to the boom by a loop of 1/4" rope that lets it slide along the boom. Simple, but effective. So, small boat solutions are often a bit simpler than big boat ones, but not necessarily worse for it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails