Sail Number Removal

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail Number Removal

Postby RobH912 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 am

Have done some searches on the forum and internet without getting much info.

Looking to find out if it is possible / how hard / how good are the results, etc to remove the numbers from a used set of North sails.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Re: Sail Number Removal

Postby tomodda » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am

Have you tried calling your local North loft? They're usually pretty helpful.

Tom
tomodda

Postby RobH912 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Tom - yes after I posted this I thought of North and sent a note to the RI rep.

I'll call him later / Monday, if I don't hear back.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby nacknakk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:21 pm

REMOVING SAIL NUMBERS/LETTERS
Sail numbers and letters are made from adhesive-backed polyester cloth. On some of the newer sails;1996 and after, you can remove the letters first and then clean off the minor glue residue. The only way you will know is to try and remove the numbers first and see how easily they come off. Some of the older sail numbers and adhesive are hard to remove. These are usually pre 1994 sails or older though some 96 - 99 sails will require the extensive method using solvent to remove the letters/numbers. The peeling of the numbers off the older sails will leave a sticky residue of adhesive on the sail. This residue should be removed since it will pick up any dirt and other substances and leave the sail looking worn and dirty.
Working area - You should work on the removal of the numbers/letters in a well-ventilated area. Choose an area that is a flat clean surface. Use a plastic sheet at least 3'x 3' or plain unmarked cardboard making sure the surface will not scratch the sail.
Materials:
Trash can/plastic trash bag – The trash will be sticky.
Solvent – 3M General Adhesive Remover, Goo Gone, MEK, lacquer thinner, mineral turpentine, solvents containing Toluene or containing Xylene. Acetone can be used but is not recommended on Dacron. Nylon (spinnakers) should be treated more carefully than Dacron. Cleaner’s benzene can be used, but it is dangerous and hard to obtain. Paint thinner and gasoline work although they will leave an oil stain in some cases. The solvent should not adversely affect the sailcloth as long as you do not scrape too long or too hard. Two or three applications and some serious rubbing and scraping may be necessary no matter what you use.
Paper towels/wiping cloths – You’ll need allot.
Scrappers – Use plastic or wood. The scraper should be free of sharp edges.

Procedure:
● Note location of current numbers/lettering. - Use a pencil to mark a line under the existing numbers/ letters. Mark the distance of the last number/letter from the leech. Make sure as you work that you do not remove the marks and lose your reference points.
● Peeling - Only work on one side of the sail at a time. Peel off all the numbers/letters first if you can. On many of the newer sails the numbers/letters will easily peel off. Then remove adhesive before proceeding to the other side. Some areas (mostly on older sails) will be difficult to remove so wipe some solvent on the sail numbers/letters. Be sure to leave the solvent to work in for a few minutes to work. Use a scrapper and remove any number/letter with gentle scrapping.
● Adhesive removal - Be sure to remove adhesive before proceeding to the other side of the sail. If the adhesive residue is hard to remove soak for 20-30 seconds with solvent and then use the scrapper. Group the adhesive residue into an area on the sail and take a paper towel or cloth to pick up the adhesive residue. Repeat this until all adhesive residue is removed from the sail. Soaking a paper towel with solvent will remove any remaining adhesive residue. Use this on small areas and try not to smear adhesive over the sail. When you are done there still may be a slight stickiness on the sail.
● Wash - Use a mild soapy solution and rinse thoroughly. Let the sail dry completely before storing it to avoid mildew.
● Apply new numbers - Put the new numbers on using the marks you made as a reference point. Be sure to apply according to the direction supplied by the sailmakers and according to your class rules as to size, contrast and placement.
● Eliminating any remaining stickiness - Use baby powder or talcum powder on any sticky areas. This will eliminate the stickiness. Do this after you have completed all number/letter applications. The baby powder or talcum powder will keep number/letter from sticking to the sail.

Additional References:

https://sailrite.wordpress.com/2014/04/ ... -insignia/

source: http://www.geocities.com/kc7cscow/clink ... movlet.htm

Note: it has been suggested that a heat gun (carefully used) might aid in removing the numbers/letters.
nacknakk

Postby RobH912 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:44 am

Nacknakk - thank you very much for the very detailed explanation of the process from start to finish on how to remove numbers from sails and add new numbers. It does not look hard, but very detailed and it looks like if the process is followed good results will too.

Looked some more on line yesterday afternoon and did find a post that described a similar process but with one exception was that what ever solvent one uses, (they used the 3M product you mention) that the solvent should be applied to the sail side of the number (on back side of the number) as this will help the adhesive release from the sail and adhesive has a better chance of staying on the number rather than the sail. Don't know if you have found this to be accurate or not?

I had received a copy of my DS Quarterly (summer 2019) yesterday and there was a full set of North sails for sail, and while I am just looking for a spinnaker, price was low ($1100) and I started to wonder how difficult number removal would be. Contacted seller, butt sails were gone. :cry:

Thanks again!
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby RobH912 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 am

Finally got around to removing the sail numbers.

Followed the procedure outlined above, used 3M General Adhesive Remover, and did apply the remover to the back of the numbers (spraying the opposite side of the sail), waited about 20 seconds, and numbers peeled right off. Very little adhesive was left on the sail, sprayed some remover on a cloth and adhesive residue came right off.

One thing to call out for anyone doing this was that I had used a sharpie permanent marker and put a single, small dot at the base of each number so I would have a "line" of dots to help place the new numbers. The 3M remover, also removes the sharpie dots. :shock: I only ended up removing one dot, was careful not to wipe off the other dos, so it will all be fine when I apply the new numbers.

Just wanted to close out this thread.

Thanks again Nacknakk
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

I found using MEK (methyl ethyl ketones) worked best for me in removing the residue left from removing my numbers, much less labor intensive.
Last edited by Fly4rfun on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Pencil....

About various removers: please check somewhere that they are compatible with sail fabric (including the "fillers" that sailmakers use to make the fabric stiff).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 pm

It seemed to be ok. but good thought. I went gingerly at first.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Return to Sails