Sail slug and headboard

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail slug and headboard

Postby Tipster1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:38 am

Resuming an old project I'd like to add sail slugs to my mainsail. Most research is done but one question is how well does it work at headboard when bolt rope is no longer in slot. Sailrite videos show first slug below headboard. My concern is that head board will flop around and bind since halyard will no longer be pulling parallel to mast at top.
What experience have others had?
Tipster1

Re: Sail slug and headboard

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm

I had my sail slugs installed by a sailmaker in Ft. Meyers. I found that reefing and flaking the sail to the boom is much easier and faster. I also get a better flaked sail, My sail is always flaked on the boom with a sail cover.

.The 1st slug is attached down 1 1/4 inch from the center of the hole on the headboard where the halyard attaches. It is attached with webbing through the headboard. This keeps the headboard from flopping around and it has never bound up. I do lubricate the sail slot and make sure the slot is clean when ever I strike the mast. All the other slugs are 20 inches apart. They are secured with plastic shackles. This sailmaker prefers to plastic shackles on all of the other slugs. He told me the plastic shackles have more movement and if you ever have to replace a slug it is easy.

You will need to install a mast gate over the sail slot to prevent the slugs from falling out of the slot when you dose or reef your sail.

You might want a topping lift to hold the end of the boom up. I found out it makes the reefing and flaking the sail easier.

John
jalmeida51

Re: Sail slug and headboard

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:10 pm

Why would anyone put a slug below a headboard?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails