New jib, Neil Pryde!

Moderator: GreenLake

New jib, Neil Pryde!

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 am

Just got a new jib, Neil Pryde. First new sail ever!
Seems well-made and I was very happy to see that it has stainless steel hanks along the luff. Also glad to see that it does not have a wire along the luff, which I’m sure is useful to those of us who know how to use it but to me it always seemed redundant.
So far have only sailed in relatively light airs with it. Unlike my previous worn out jib, I can really see the difference in shape based on how tight the halyard is. Too tight and there is a crease along the luff that light air won’t fill.
Also it has an adjustable cord along the leech. Anyone know how to use this? My previous jib had a similar cord along the foot, which I didn’t mess with too much.
I am hoping that in heavier wind beating that this jib won’t flap around as much as my old one did...
DS #2077
Slim

Re: New jib, Neil Pryde!

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:55 am

If your jib flutters, you would tighten the leech line just enough to stop that. Too much, and you "hook" the wind. Nay not be something you need right away, but might help extend the useful life of your jib. (I had one with jib flutter where I retrofitted an improvised leech line to get another season's worth out of it).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails