DS centerboard controls

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS centerboard controls

Postby ArchSail » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:17 pm

Good suggestions and happy to hear no damage on your end. Thank you!
ArchSail

Postby IslandFarmer » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:49 pm

I am new to the world of adhesives beyond Elmer's and Pritt sticks. :)

Wondering what sort of glue I should use in this weekend's project to:
1. glue the CB cuddy-side uphaul donut back around the uphaul cable (putting the two halves together); and
2. adhere said repaired donut to the hole ... or it is not supposed to be glued? Alan, David, and Tim describe just popping it off:
Re: Where to start? Alan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 pm wrote:I found one of several descriptions, here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4949
[...] One of the posters on this thread had trouble removing the donut. Mine is plastic and comes out easily.

Centerboard trunk separation issues DavidF » Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm wrote:When I popped the little plastic donut off [....]

Re: DSII Bilge water underway-Help! TIM WEBB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:07 pm wrote:when I did the CB UH, the gaps and voids were easily visible once I popped the plastic donut outta there.

As I wrote above, I see this as a temporary measure until such time as the donut breaks again and/or water leaking into the bilge becomes problematic. At that point, I will replace the CB cable and install an ABS plumbing nipple per Roger/Luke and any post-facto recommendations from ArchSail.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:04 pm

I suggest you source some Marine Tex. It's an epoxy based paste that's useful for all sorts of repairs that aren't necessarily intended to be permanent. It's a paste, so it doesn't run, like a glue, and can be used to fill voids. It's an epoxy, so it's strong and also a good glue. Around here, it's the boaters' go-to.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that putting off the "correct" repair is the reasonable choice here.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm

TY GL. :) I'll give Marine Tex a try for (1) and (2) both. Will keep an eye on the fix and check for bilge water coming and going.

Update on 8/16: So far so good. Here's a photo of my repair with just a slight bit of tension on the uphaul for the picture (maybe a half-inch). I used epoxy (Marine Tex) to hold the donut together and then jammed it in the hole where I'd put some epoxy and finished off the job with another heaping of epoxy on the cuddy side.
Jib track pull out is now my priority but I will definitely make the cable a smidge longer when I replace it. I am now super careful when I lower the CB so the cuddy end is no longer jamming in the epoxy lined donut as it did the first couple of times after the repair when I uncleated the board and just let it fall with gravity (which is why the donut broke in the first place). My cousin suggested adding a stopper just aft of the nico-press sleeve . . . so I may pursue that once I have fixed the jib thing. : )
Last edited by IslandFarmer on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby ArchSail » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:40 am

Quick update on my progress fixing CB controls: No Real Progress

Longer progress update: I found my outer uphaul hole to be smaller than 1". It's somewhat oblong and only slightly bigger than 1/2" diameter. Debating putting a 4" inspection port (or smaller) on the CB trunk inside the cuddy area. This way I can repair the interior CB trunk uphaul hole. The other option is to first expand and tap the outer hole to fit a 1" nipple - maybe that gives me enough room to work on the interior issues. I suppose the tapping procedure will look something similar to this video Learn to use a Tap and Die

Decided it best to refresh the control lines while I'm at it. I ordered 1/8" amsteel blue as a replacement for the metal cable - should arrive Friday. Struggled for hours with the rusty CB nut/bolt. My poor wife likely broke her finger (no joke) when the wrench slipped and she punched the hull. I've hit the rust with PB Blaster for a couple days. It is difficult to safely reach it with dremel or drill. I even tried a small saw. Now the plan is to expand the factory inspection ports to 8" to give me better options.
ArchSail

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only