Cockpit floor inspection port gasket replacement

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cockpit floor inspection port gasket replacement

Postby IslandFarmer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm

I'm pretty sure this is a new topic . . . but not sure if it is DSII only. . . .

Having recently purchased two Beckson inspection ports to seal off the port side hole I cut (and the starboard side hole I will cut) to replace backing plate for the jib track, I noticed the cautionary words on the underside of the port cover.
On a sticker:
"Notice: The gasket in this product requires periodic inspection and maintenance including replacement. http://www.beckson.com/gaskets"
Raised letters in the plastic that you might not notice:
"Seasonally lube or replace gasket. BECKSON (203) 333-1412"

This led me to open the stuck inspection ports just aft of the cuddy in the floor of the cockpit (original to the boat, I think) to look at those gaskets (O-rings, rubber seals), which are indeed showing wear so I want to replace them (so all gaskets will be the same age moving forward). How are gaskets sized (I'm assuming these are 4" ports) and where do I buy them (online, in a store)? Are there quality/brand differences, I should be aware of? (FYI, the Beckson gaskets are interesting ... with a slit around the circumference.)
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Re: Cockpit floor inspection port gasket replacement

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:18 pm

It's not specific to the DSII, but the models with double hull (both DSII and recent DS1) all have some deck plates / inspection ports from the factory, where original DS1s may have them only as retrofit.

Online search will give you sources for these, and given the price for the brand-name ones, there's little benefit trying to source "generic" alternatives.

It's a good idea to open these every once in a while and to see how the o-rings are doing. I believe (but tell me if you know differently) that coating the o-ring and the threads lightly with vaseline will make it easier later to open them and / or extend the life of the O-rings.

As to service life, this may depend on how/where you store your boat or if the cockpit is open to the weather all season.

Also, a slow leak might have more consequence on a port in the cockpit floor, where there's a chance of standing water for long periods, than up higher, where it's mostly designed to not let the hull flood during a capsize - a leak at that time isn't ideal, of course, but if it's slow enough you may have righted the boat.

After you've done this for a while, you'll know what level of servicing feels right for your boat and what you are comfortable with.

Note that heavy sun exposure will damage the deck places themselves eventually and you may need to replace the entire thing. That interval depends definitely on where you sail and whether storage is shaded.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Thanks, GL. My problem is that I don't know where to go to find replacement rings. There is no brand info on the port that unscrews. I took one of the rings out of the boat thinking I would go a store to buy one (two) just like it ... but I'm not sure what store (or type of store) to go to ... or if I can order online, which I tried, but is hard because I don't know what search term(s) to use and how they are sized. Should I call Rudy at D&R? (He sells the ports, but not gaskets only.)
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:53 pm

There are not that many makes of deck plates (aka inspection ports) that are currently manufactured. I know of Sea Dog and Beckson; there may be a third, but after that I imagine you reach then end rather quickly. What Rudy is selling would likely be from one of these manufacturers.

It's not improbable that the specific brand of deck plates used by the builder may not be on the market any longer. However, the sizings are reasonably standardized so that you can always find a current replacement for the entire deck plate. It appears that a nominal 4" port has a required cut-out of 4 1/2". The flange means that the cutout doesn't have to be precise and many places will sell you the deck plates based on the range of hole sizes that they work with. The nominal size for the opening should then be 1/2" narrower.

I put this into my favorite search engine "replacement gaskets deck plates" and found a place that sells gaskets for a nominal 4" deck plate. They are so cheap (the shipping will dwarf the cost of the item) that you could afford to buy one and try it out (you don't want to buy for future years as the material will age, but you could afford to buy a pair).

I don't know about the Beckson plates as to whether their gaskets are really different (I have some here, but they are still in the unopened original package so I'm not going to open that). The gaskets that I find offered online appear to be simple O-rings. For those you need to match the two diameters and you should be in business. (You may even find some place that sells O-rings generically, but it may simply be easier to find the right ones via Marine resellers).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ArchSail » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:56 pm

IslandFarmer, one word of caution if you decide to replace the original inspection ports. This may apply to your DSII; my 1974 model has foam stringers (wrapped in fiberglass) running under the deck. My old ports were cracked and missing pieces. I bought replacement ports from Rudy that should barely squeeze between the stringers. I originally thought I'd jump up to larger 6" ports while working on the centerboard so I cut a wider hole in the deck to remove the bolt. Now I'm building the floor back to accommodate the new ports and kicking myself a little.
ArchSail

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:46 pm

The deck plate openings in the cockpit floor of my 1980 DSII have raised bosses that are clearly original, so I stayed with 4-inch when I bought new ones.

The replacement deck plates that had threaded bases just a tiny bit too large for the holes, so I enlarged the holes just enough to fit the new bases. Then I made the rookie mistake of sealing the bases to the cockpit floor with 3M 5200, and only found out later that it's meant for permanent installations. Oh well, maybe I'll be lucky and not need to replace the deck plates a second time.

A possible source of O-rings is McMaster Carr, an online hardware supplier with a huge inventory. I've done a lot of business with them, mostly unrelated to my DSII, and been very happy. They have a few of 4-inch diameter in various thicknesses. Here's one example. There are others if you poke around the site:

https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/oil-re ... n-o-rings/
Alan

Postby IslandFarmer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanks, GreenLake, Alan, and ArchSail. GL, I think I found the place you mentioned (in Alabama) so will order two 4" deck plate o-rings (49¢ each) and hope that works. Great also to know about McMaster-Carr ... which sounds like a great backup.

Regarding the Beckson o-ring, it is actually in the flange part of the deck plate (and not easily removable with fingers). The o-rings I want to replace are on the port (screw-out) part of the original cockpit plates.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Return to Day Sailer II Only