New To Me & Already Broke It!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New To Me & Already Broke It!

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Brought home a Daysailer II yesterday, in hopes of getting it figured out in time to enjoy putting up this season
While attempting to raise the mast by myself (first mistake), it started to fall & the tabernacle broke off.

Do I need to replace the bottom portion of the mast? Can i just re-tap the tabernacle as is?
Attachments
20220528_122247.jpg
20220528_122247.jpg (69.99 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
LikeAPuma24

Re: New To Me & Already Broke It!

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Sat May 28, 2022 1:04 pm

As a seperate note: It seems almost impossible to attach the forestay. I pushed on the mast by myself while my daughter attempted to thread the pin through. And i used the winch & main halyard when I was solo (had slight success with that, but only through the hole most aft).

Is something not lined up properly?
LikeAPuma24

Postby tomodda » Sat May 28, 2022 1:52 pm

Hi, and welcome to Daysailer community!

Excuse me that I'm laid up in bed, so not going to write a full answer. Just some points:

-Don't sweat it, the DS is (almost) infinitely repairable

-Flip your mast stub (the bottom part, there's no taper) upside down, drill new holes. Consider tapping a hole in the front face as well, so you have 3 attachments instead of two. Consider rivets instead of machine screws.

-Raise your mast with the fore halyard. Start with boat on trailer. First make sure the side shrouds are attached to mast and chain plates, properly running over the spreaders, and clear of any obstructions. Clip the halyard to the stem head (should have two holes there), just like you'd normally clip it to the jib. Raise the mast by pulling down on the fore halyard (guide it with your arms then shoulders, standing right behind the cuddy). When mast is vertical, tie off the halyard, pulled as tight as you can. That's it, now mast is up and secure! Hop out of the boat, go forward and clip the forestay to the OTHER hole in the stem head. Preferably, use the fore hole for the stay, aft for halyard. If you need some more tension on the halyard to make the stay reach the stem head, just pull aft on the taut halyard, like plucking a bowstring. If that doesn't do the trick, then your forestay is, in fact, too short. Measure the shortfall (you'll need an assistant) and come back to this forum and/or call Rudy.

Best of luck!

Tom
tomodda

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Sat May 28, 2022 2:20 pm

You are a gentleman & a scholar! That'll be my adventure for tomorrow!
LikeAPuma24

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 28, 2022 2:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your mishap. (I'll add some thoughts to what Tom wrote).

The part of the mast below the tabernacle acts as a compression post. Most of the force should point down, and from your photo is looks like there is enough left of the lower part to securely rest the tabernacle on.

The secondary function is to not let the mast foot wander. Obviously important during mast raising, but you can get into situations (like choppy water) where an unsecured mast foot would jump around. Those are the reasons why you need to secure the tabernacle against being pulled out.

You won't be able to make that connection strong enough to hold up a unsecured mast on its own, but it should be a strong and reliable connection. If it looks to you like the screws pulled out cleanly, leaving enough metal for being re-tapped at an offset location, you could certainly decide to try that.

When raising the mast you should not use the main halyard, but the jib halyard. The main halyard would give you more leverage, but the upper part of the mast is unsupported. Instead, it's better to use the jib halyard (or spinnaker halyard if you have one) as these are attacked close to where the stays are attached - which is the same point at which the mast is held back by the shrouds.

That means you can pull as hard as you want on either of those two halyards without putting a bending moment on an unsupported part of your mast.

Once you have attached your forestay, the mast should be secure, even if you only have the aft pin in the tabernacle. The boat is new to you, so you don't know if the lengths of shrouds and forestay are set correctly. Ditto for the tension in the rig. You need to take the bout out on a day with moderate winds of 6-10 knots and observe. One: the leeward shroud should go slack when you go upwind in about 10 knots or above. But there should be enough tension there that you can "strum" a low note with the rigging on land.

Two: when sailing upwind at 10 knots or above there should be some weather helm, but not too much. You should have to pull on the tiller to keep your boat from rounding up into the wind. Definitely at this point, it should not at all feel like you are straining when pulling at the tiller, or that you are "fighting" the boat. The tiller should also not need a large deflection. Either of those would mean your weather helm is too strong.

On the other hand, you do want positive weather helm. When you let go of the tiller, the boat should turn into the wind. And the tiller should have given you positive feedback: you should be able to feel the strength of the wind.

This second test assumes you have your sails sheeted properly. If you don't sheet the main in, for example, you reduce its effectiveness and therefore ability to turn your boat into the wind. If you don't sheet the jib so that it draws correctly, you would reduce its ability to counteract the main. But if your sail plan is (reasonably) balanced, you should end up with a bit of weather helm.

If you don't, then your mast is at the wrong angle. Tilting it forward reduces weather helm, tilting it back would increase it. If the mast is set at a correct (or satisfactory) angle, then it may be that you won't be able to get that pin in without destroying the rig trim.

There are forestays that have a lever at the end, that allows you to connect them more easily and then you apply the final amount of tension by flipping the lever. When replacing your forestay, make sure you don't change the length, or you affect your rig trim.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:02 pm

Thanks to your responses! Decided to just flip the bottom portion of the mast, and it seemed to work perfectly!

Attaching the forestay was a breeze this time, so I'm assuming there might have been a small issue with the tabarnacle before we got it. No biggie! Thanks again! I lurked for a few months and now that I took the plunge & purchased one, I'm sure I'll be here nonstop!
LikeAPuma24

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 30, 2022 4:16 pm

great solution. Keep us posted.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:56 pm

Rather than starting a new thread: Boat is cleaned, prepped, registered, & all safety gear purchased.

Hopefully going out with my 11 year old in the next week or so. My big question is the CB pulley system. There's a block set up in the cuddy (I believe I've read that it brings the CB up), but I also have this pulley on the CB casing. I thought I read somewhere that the same piece of rope should attach to both of them, but I'm not seeing how. What am I missing?
Attachments
20220621_181656.jpg
20220621_181656.jpg (106.48 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
LikeAPuma24

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:36 pm

It's hard to see on your picture, but it looks like there's a cable that exits the top of the CB trunk, angled towards the rear, and this cable terminates in a block. That block would then be the lower part of a purchase, the other piece of it? Where would it be. (Assuming forward is to the right).

It would seem that this duplicates or replaces the downhaul. Normally the downhaul would exit at the top and the uphaul would exit at the forward end. But the downhaul should be exiting fairly far forward. You could rig one that curves around the top of the CB and therefore exit towards the back, but in that case there should a be a matching block somewhere.

Also, what's that fitting to the left (aft?) of it?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm

GreenLake wrote:It's hard to see on your picture, but it looks like there's a cable that exits the top of the CB trunk, angled towards the rear, and this cable terminates in a block....

Also, what's that fitting to the left (aft?) of it?

Yes that's exactly what it is. A cable comes out & ends at the block. Not sure I'll be able to pull on it until it's in the water, as it's sitting on the trailer. Just trying to figure out what kind of line goes through it and where does it connect to.

The fitting aft of the block is a hole the previous owner put in to assist pushing the CB down with a rod that he included. I believe he put the little cap on it to keep anything from splashing up.

I can try to take pictures of the cable/rope system in the cuddy area when I get home, if that might help shed more light on it.
LikeAPuma24

Return to Day Sailer II Only