Boat Cover: Great Option

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Boat Cover: Great Option

Postby jackson2191 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:12 pm

I was looking for an inexpensive cover for my DSII, since I store it outside. I couldn't justify $400+ for a custom cover from the typical local and online canvas shops. So I started looking at stock covers and I found something that works perfectly for me!

Go to boatcovers.com and go to the "Semi-custom" covers. In the V-hull fishing boat they have a stock size, F1676, which fits boats 16' 9" long by 76" beam (almost the exact lengths of the DSII hull). I happily report that it fits my boat superbly! Plus it is colorful (I ordered the forest green to complement my red hull) and it only cost me $132 with free shipping! If I wanted plain white it would have only been $116.

There are some things to know: the cover has a cutout in the center of the back for an outboard motor. While the cover fits about 12" down the hull all the way around, the cutout means that some of the transom is exposed. The cover is for the hull only, not for the mast. For about $300 savings, I can live with these.

Chris..............................
Chris.......................
jackson2191

Boat Cover

Postby jake » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:51 pm

How does this cover secure to the hull? I was looking at their website and the picture was taken from a distance. Can this cover be used while trailering?

Thanks!

Jake
jake

Re: Boat Cover

Postby jackson2191 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:02 pm

Around the bottom of the cover, through a sleeve sewn into the hem, there is a long shock cord. This cord can be custom cut, attached, tied, secured, etc. at the back of the cover. In addition, there are about 10 -12 web loops sewn into the bottom hem. These are used with bungee cords (supplied separately) to connect the cover to the trailer.

With the shock cord around the hem, you can make the cover fit snugly around the boat. But don't try to trailer the boat without all the loops connected to the frame, because the shock cord is not enough to withstand 70 mph of wind.

The cover can be used fine for trailering-- I use it. When I get to the ramp, I just roll it off and stick it in the cab of my pickup while out on the bay. Then I just roll it back on.

The cover is very waterproof. After I bought it we went through what seemed like two solid weeks of rain. The boat stayed completely dry inside, and the water formed deep standing pools where I didn't create a good enough drain path.
Chris.......................
jackson2191

Daysailer covers

Postby Peter McMinn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:53 am

For the money, it seems like this manufacturer could make something equally generic--slightly alterable--for sailboat specs. How about it boatcovers.com?
Peter McMinn

Return to Day Sailer II Only