DSII CB Uphaul Cable

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSII CB Uphaul Cable

Postby bilbo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:45 pm

My DSII has a steel cable for the uphaul line with a loop swaged on the end in the cuddy. On the way home from a trip yesterday the aluminum swage piece broke and the CB dropped down. There’s a crossmember on my trailer frame that caught it so no damage there, but I’ll obviously need to do something about the cable. The sewage looks like it corroded badly and wasted away to the point it popped open. In assuming exposure to seawater had something to do with that. Has anyone else sailing in saltwater seen a similar failure? I’m wondering if I should use stainless ends like the mast stays or mechanical fittings to put it back together.
bilbo

Re: DSII CB Uphaul Cable

Postby GreenLake » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:24 pm

You could look into using Dyneema (AmSteel) instead of cable. That would definitely avoid the corrosion problem. You'd size the AmSteel pretty much for the same diameter. You might want to check any openings for roughness or chafe, and if necessary sleeve them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby bilbo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 pm

That’s an excellent idea! I think I might even have that size in my bin of rope ends. I’m planning to careen the boat next week and see how things look. I figure if that end has let go, the one under the boat is probably close too.
bilbo

Postby GreenLake » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:07 am

Sounds like you are all set. Good luck. (And as I'm sure you are aware, if you need to splice an eye into AmSteel, it's an easy thing to do and the intructions are great).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby bilbo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:02 pm

Here is my Amsteel uphaul cable. I used some shackles I had in my parts bin for the ends, as they present a kinder surface for the rope to rub against. The fittings on the centerboard and block are kind of sharp. Also, I've read 15.5" should be the length of the cable but mine measured between 19"-20". I made mine so it should work out at around 19" with the added length of the shackles.

bilbo

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:20 am

Very nice. I wouldn't put too much trust in published figures for lengths. I've found some of them (not this particular one, which I don't have) occasionally at odds with what I needed on my boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby bilbo » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:23 pm

Yeah I figured it was best to replicate the existing known to function system. In related news, I lost my ratchet and 3/4" socket to the depths of the bilge while trying to remove the CB pivot bolt. I fished around for it with a magnet and no go. It's probably nestled in with the random foam blocks somewhere. When I get everything back together and back on the trailer I'll drive it around down, and hopefully the ratchet will work its way to the low point.

For anyone attempting this in the future it's probably best to remove the bolt when the boat is upright. Anything dropped can easily be picked up then. If not, tie a cord to any tools you're using in the bilge space.
bilbo

Return to Day Sailer II Only