DS II centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II centerboard

Postby jeffllewis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:15 pm

Hello. I'm the newest owner of a 1974 DS II hull # 7229. The boat has a rusty steel centerboard that I'm trying to replace with one I ordered from D & R Marine. The problem at present is the centerboard I received does not have the pivot bolt hole in it yet, probably because I ordered it online and there is no way to specify what year or model it was for on the website. From the DSA measurements and specifications file in the handbook, it appears the hole should be six inches from the leading edge and six inches from the top of the CB. Is this accurate for all daysailers or just the DS I? I have found a lot of useful information at this site and appreciate all those who have posted before me. Any help you can give me will make my day as the CB cost seems to be rising as fast as gas prices and this CB needs to fit right the first time. Thanks.
Jeff Lewis
1974 daysailer II
jeffllewis

Here is what you do.

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:23 am

Before drilling any holes, get uner the boat and insert the cb into its slot and adjust it forward and back so that there is about equal space at either end. Prop it up with wedges, so that the cb is in the up position. I can show you pictures of how to prop it up on your trailer with a 2x4 and small wedges, and a couple of c clamps. If you wish, send me you e-mail to roger02 at mb dot sympatico dot ca replacing the at with @ and the dot with .

After the cb is in place climb into the boat, reach into the inspecton ports feeling for the holes about 8" forward of the ports, and with a pencil mark through the cb trunk holes where they open up to the cb. Mark both sides.

Remove the cb from the slot and measure your marks, then drill. I do think your discription is accurate, but this method will confirm those measurements. Don't forget to re-gelcoat the inside of the hole you drill so that water does not get into the laminate if it is exposed. Check your bolt to make sure it is a good fit and does not bind in the hole.

To check the workings on dryland, careen your daysailer and work the cb.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... PhotoID=96
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only