repair or buy new cener board

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

repair or buy new cener board

Postby Mikey The Map » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:26 pm

I have a DS ii for about 4 years now and it has only been in the water the first two. I tied of my center board to the cleat on the center board housing and hit something submerged while on the way. The center board took the full force of the impact. The cable that lowers the CB broke, I continued sailing and flipped the boat. While the boat was floating on it’s side with motor about 3 feet in the air and perpendicular to the water (lucky it did not flip on the other side, the motor would have been under water) I attempted to right side it by getting the wind under the sail and pulling down on the CB, I noticed I was able to bend the board.

I removed it yesterday (2 seasons later) and discovered a crack on one side, level with the bottom of the boat. Can anyone suggest a way to repair it or a place to buy a new one?
Mikey The Map
Mikey The Map

integral and structural damage

Postby Roger » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:29 am

In my opinion, I would not be trusting that board, suspecting structural damage. Get a replacement from D& R marine. seventh item down on this page, ($375).

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=119
Roger

Postby Mikey The Map » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:16 pm

Thanks, sounds great. Do you know if that includes the cabling? Would I have to attach the cabling to the board? If so, is it easy to do?
Mikey The Map
Mikey The Map

Postby boone » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:20 pm

I would call D&R. I bought a centerboard from them for my DS2 a couple years ago. They sent me a cardboard template in advance to make sure that the pivot hole is drilled in the right place, as apparently not all DS2's have the hole in the same place. When you call them you can find out about the board rigging hardware. You might also consider replacing the gaskets on the pivot bolt.
boone
Site Admin

Return to Day Sailer II Only