DS II Reefing and Traveler

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Reefing and Traveler

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:27 pm

Okay, I had a sailmaker here in Annapolis (UK Sails) put slab reefing in my main. They did a great job. Then I realized that despite all I'd read here on the Forum, I had very little idea how to reef other than to tie the, um, reefing ties.

I assume I need a slightly longer outhaul and a snap-hook of some sort so the outhaul can be removed from the regular clew and snapped into the reef clew, then snugged down tight. Right?

It seems that I will also need a new line on the mast, probably held with a tang or something similar. The line will pass through the reef tack and down to a new cleat, or down through a block and up to a cleat. Right?

Most of the boom-end traveller rigs posted to the forum and at daysailer.org are for DS I's. Does anyone have one rigged up especially for a DS II? I have read the posts about a mid-boom traveler, but I think an end-boom would suit my style of sailing (no racing) better.

Thanks.

Bob Rowe (rowerw-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:33 pm

REEFING
You should have a hook at the gooseneck end of the boom, at the back end of the boom should be a reef line that would pull the clew down to the boom. This should be positioned on the boom a couple of inches back from where the new clew will be. If you use the regular outhaul when reefed you will find that the back end of the sail will float up and be fuller. When reefed it is obviously windy so you want your main sail as flat as possible. You will also have a few ties along the boom to hold the belly of the unused portion of the main sail. If you go to Harkens website they have several visual aids of rigging setups that will help illustrate reef systems. There are several ways to accomplish the same effect.

TRAVELERS

You have a end boom traveler, you will not be able to have a rigid traveler because of the tiller. A rigid traveler is more effective that is why racers prefer a mid boom traveler in this kind of situation. I don't feel that a soft traveler (one which is basically a triangle of rope) is even closly as effective as a rigid one so I say go with the midboom so you can have a rigid traveler (one which has a track and car). If you don't intend to race then go travelerless. Less expensive and several less lines to be in the way.

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:32 pm

One method of reefing is called jiffy reefing. It requires 2 cheek blocks, mounted fore and aft on one side of the boom corresponding to the reef tack and reef clew. Opposite these blocks, (on the other side of the boom), at the aft end, is an eye strap, and at the forward end opposite the forward cheek block is a cleat. Your reefing line runs from where it is tied to the aft eye strap, up to the clew reef crinkle (grommet), down to the aft cheek block, then forward along the side of the boom to the forward cheek block, up to the tack reef crinkle, and down to the cleat.

To reef, loosen the main sheet, and snug up the reefing line as you raise the aft end of the boom to the clew reef point. Then lower the main halyard, and pull down on the main , snug up the jiffy reefing line to bring the tack reef crinkle down to the boom, and cleat the line. Snug up the main halyard. The bunt of the sail is now hanging down (bag like) under the boom, so to tidy things up, run some small cords through the reef points and using a reef knot to snug them up to the boom. The reason the cleat is at the forward part of the boom is so that it can easily be reached even when the boom end is way out over one side of the boat.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:27 pm

Thank all of you very much for the help and the advice. Now I know how to rig for reefing and as for the traveler, I'll give it some thought.

One thing I have noticed is that in very light airs--such as last Saturday afternoon near Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay--I can sheet the main home, then pull the sheet (and the boom with it) to the boat's center and down. When I do that we pick up a little speed and the boat ("The Rowe Boat", by the way) points a little higher.

And that is why I've been thinking about a traveler. Perhaps only a mid-boom traveler would give me this kind of improvement.

Thanks again.

Bob Rowe (rowerw-at-comcast.net)

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:15 pm

I have had similar thoughts about mounting a mid boom traveller on the sole of the cockpit immediatly behind the cb trunk. It would give me an additonal few degrees of pointing ability by keeping the boom on center, by having the cleat on the traveller up against the base of the seat. I don't like the idea of the additonal clutter however, so I am contemplating a traveller that has stops rather than rigging. I know that defeats the purpose of being able to play the traveller, but I am not a racer, so may be able to live with that.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only