new owner

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

new owner

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:21 pm

I am not sure if the boat is a I or II. Does anyone have pic they can send via email or any hints to determine age.
Thank you

marilyn (marilynirvine-at-shaw.ca)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:32 pm

There's a lot of messages on these boards about determining when boats were made. There's also a chart on the front page that lists which class numbers were built by which builder.

Here's a few ways to to tell a DSI from a DSII, unless someone radically modified the boat.

If the boat has a bronze handle to control the centerboard, it's a Day Sailer I. If it has a rope to raise and lower the centerboard it's a DS II.

If there is a deck at the stern of the boat that is perhaps the distance form an adult's finger tips to the elbow in width (give or take a hand's breadth), It's a DS I. If instead of that deck there's a 1-3" wide lip, it's a DS II.

If it was made in the 70's and has a door in the cuddy opening instead of a wide open cuddy, it's a DS II.

On the sides of the cuddy there are plastic plates attached with the O'Day Logo on them. On the bottom of the plate it will say either "Day Sailer", "Day Sailer I", or "Day Sailer II".

One of these methods should work.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:40 pm

And to determine the year, check the HIN (Hull Identification Number) sometimes it will be inside the right hand side of the cuddy cabin, most often dead centre outside the transom near one of the rudder attachments. It shuld read XDYD then 4 numbers which are the sail or hull numbers then 4 mor numbers or combination of letters and numbers indicating the month and year of manufacture. Check this site to decrypt your HIN http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only