Capsized & Dismasted, Rudder/tiller lost-What now?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Capsized & Dismasted, Rudder/tiller lost-What now?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:24 pm

Foolishly attempting to sail in a stiff breeze recently on Lake Chautauqua, I managed to capsize my DS II, hull #XDYD68110973, in shallow water. The mast stuck in bottom, breaking off above where the stays are attached (taking a portion of the mainsail with it) and bending the remaining stub of the mast. The rudder is also in the bottom of the lake. My question is whether the cost to replace the following items: mast above the hinge, missing top of the mast casting, broken boom casting, rudder, tiller and sail (repair or replace).
As best I can estimate---buying a new mast extrusion and castings from from Dwyer, using recovered hardware from the old mast (stays and other fittings), then buying a new or used mainsail, new or used rudder and homemade tiller---the cost to make the boat sailable again would be about $900-1200. Since this is right in the range of a "new" used boat price, I am in a quandry as to what to do...I am a casual sailor, not a racer, so having the latest and greatest is not necessary, adequate is quite OK.
Perusing this site, I see a bunch of DS people who are looking for masts, sails and rudders. Possibly, they also had the same misfortune as I did.
In summary, here are my questions:
1. What is the likelihood that I can find a used mast and rudder for my boat?
2. Are there any DS boneyards where there is supply of used parts?
3. Is there a market for a DS II hull, hull #XDYD68110973, in pretty good condition, plus trailer?
4. Any thoughts about my dilemma are appreciated!
Thanks for any input, BTW I must say that this site is one of the most informative forums that I have seen on the Internet.

Charlie McChesney (charlie1939-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:28 pm

just a thought, but if you turtled in shallow water, it is likely less than 20 feet. If you can re-find the location, you should be able to recover the mast and therefore the top casting, and maybe the rudder. This might also be just the challenge your local SCUBA club is looking for. I assume your mainsail is shredded and unsalvagable, so perhaps a used sail is in order. That may make ordering a new mast extrusion within your budget to refurbish the boat.
Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:34 pm

also check this site for prices

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=123
Roger

Postby Dave Misunas » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:17 am

I have a origional straight mast with hinge plate and top of mast hardware... you are welcome too any or all of it. Shipping from CA may be expensive.
Dave
Dave Misunas

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:38 pm

Charlie, man, I can't imagine what you must be going through, demasted and all. My only input is that you probably won't have a problem finding a mast (and boom?), but rudders are going to be tough to find used. They're pretty spendy, and you probably need a tiller, too. If I were you, I'd think seriously about shaping my own rudder. Specs are available on this site as well as plenty of experienced feedback. I believe the material of choice is spruce.

Good luck!
Peter McMinn

Return to Day Sailer II Only