spreader bars

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

spreader bars

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:54 pm

What is the best way to replace the spreader bars? I have two new ones from D&R Marine. I have drilled out the rivets, should I replace them with new rivits or will metal screws work? Thanks

Dennis (Ddittrich9-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:53 pm

What rivets? I have a 1977 DS II; its spreaders (that spread the side stays) are attached to the mast with Clevis pins on the mast end and have notches in which the stays fit on the outer end. I'm replacing them with spreaders from D&R marine, which are identical to the existing ones. At the stay end, the stays are wrapped with stainless steel wire which is passed through a hole in the outer end of the spreader. This keeps the stay from popping out of the spreader end when the mast is unstepped.

If you have rivets holding the spreaders to the mast, consider replacing them with clevis pins.

I broke one spreader by cutting a corner too close while trailering the boat, cliping a neighbor's mailbox. So I ordered a replacement pair.

Ah, well.

Bo Rowe (rowerw-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:39 am

Let me clarify, the bracket that holds the spreader onto the mast broke. I ordered two new bracketts & two new bars as the old bars were home made by a previous owner. The rivets I am refering to are the ones holding the bracket onto the mast.
Thanks

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:21 am

In my case (DS I) I drilled out the old rivets and attached the new brackets (from D&R) with 3/16" rivets. It appears like all my mast fittings are riveted in place. I would be afraid screws would back out at an unopportune time!

Cheers, Ed Humphries

Ed Humphries (edh3007-at-bellsouth.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:19 pm

Thanks Ed, Ithought that was the way to go but was not sure.I am going to give Rudy a call @D&R for the exact repair.

Return to Day Sailer II Only