new spreader bars

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

new spreader bars

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:18 pm

I just purchased two new spreader bars from D&R Marine,and have installed the first one. I have noticed that the old one's which were home made are 24" in lenth. The new ones are 21". Will this present any problems with the tension on the shrouds once the mast is up? Thanks

Dennis (Ddittrich9-at-aol.com)

Postby Roger » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:05 pm

My original spreaders were 24". I replaced them last year with homemade 24" as well. I would suspect that with 21" spreaders, your tension may be less. You will have to take up the slack with the turnbuckle, or shroud adjuster, or go to a shorter end terminal (whichever you have). At worst, you will have to get a shorter shroud made up, but I would think you are within the adjustable range. You may also be able to adjust your forestay to take up some of the slack in the shrouds. This will improve weather helm as well, if you have any.
Roger

Post subject: new spreader bars

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:24 pm

I measured my spreaders this weekend and they are 21" long. I just cut them to length of the original ones after one broke due to corrossion.

Jake
Jake

Return to Day Sailer II Only