bow pulpit and life lines

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

bow pulpit and life lines

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:46 pm

Has anyone mounted a bow pulpit on their daysailer? I am considering this possibility and wonder about how to attach it given that the forward floatation compartment is sealed. I would also be interested in discussing lifelines, how many stantions were used and how you end them at or near the bulkhead, as I would imagine that hiking out would be difficult if they extended alongside the cockpit. Also, I would be interested if anyone has mounted a stern pushpit to their daysailer.

I feel particularly vulnerable when I step forward in a blow to douse the jib. I have a jib furler now, controlled from the cockpit, but am not satisfied with the performance and am considering going back to jib hanks. This would necessitate going forward on deck again... hence the bow pulpit and lifelines considerations.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:57 pm

You can't be serious

geray wright (gwright-at-wjwltd.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:21 pm

HEY!

I sail solo, with the tiller lashed. I can just as easily go overboard on the pitching deck of my 17 footer as I can on a 37 ... and no I can't swim the 10 miles to shore!

Yes I am serious, I value my life! Now again, is there anyone else who sails alone having the same concerns.

I do trail a line, but by my MOB calculations using a floatation cushion as a dummy, I have precisely 7 seconds to fall overboard, surface, regain my bearings, swim to the line, and grab it before it is out of reach.

There are also various other designs of a similar size, Sandpiper 565, DS 16, Siren and Mariner many of which sport a pulpit, some with lifelines, so I don't think my question is out of line.
Roger

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:29 am

I have not seen a pulpit on a Daysailer, but yesterday I looked at the pulpits on a Precision 18 and the O'day Mariner. These could be adapted to work on the Daysailer with little modification.

Good Luck

Another Roger

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Postby gary l. britton » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:32 pm

Roger:

Safety is ALWAYS a concern !!!!! Mounting a bow pulpit may be the answer. I sail a Daysailer I and do not have roller furling for the jib. I attach a line to the head of the jib, thread it through the attachments that attach the jib to the forestay, then run the line back to the cockpit. Then when I wish to douse the jib, I just pull on the extra line attached to the jib-head (after detaching the jib sheet) and down comes the jib. I do not have to step out on the bow to douse the jib. I will admit that there have been times that the jib was stuck, but then I just let the jib flop in the wind. I too would be concerned about soloing and trying to step onto the bow for fear of the chance of a gust hitting you and viola---man overboard alone.

Good luck and fair winds.

Gary
gary l. britton

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:21 am

Another solution that I use is to "heave to". I back the jib and lash the tiller to the leeward side of the boat causing the boat to try and point into the wind. This handy manuever then allows me to safely leave the tiller and move to the front of the boat. I then lower the jib and move back to the tiller.

When the wind starts to blow, I have reef points in my mainsail that I use. They are traditional reefpoints that I sewed in myself. I have two sets, the first reduces the mainsail by about 30%, the second by 50%. I don't normally take down the jib.

My technique to reef when single handed is to heave to. throw over a sea anchor to point the boat into the wind, lash the tiller amidships, and then move foward to tie in the reefs. I never leave the security of the cockpit.

By the way, the boat actually sails quite well with a 50% main and full jib.

Hope this helps.

Doug (dwmacpherson2000-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:31 am

While I understand your concern for safety, I can't help but wonder if there isn't a better way. I have a hard time imagining getting lifelines on your boat tall enough to really be effective. Have you ever considered a safety harness with jacklines? You could run the jacklines along each side and clip on whichever side is the high side. This seems to me to be safer, more elegant, and more cost effective. (BTW I have fallen overboard off a C&C 29 with full lifelines.)

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:49 am

JP,

Yes I have always wondered if lifelines are effective if you are standing on deck. I can see where they would catch you if you were kneeling, the position I often assume on the foredeck... (isn't that an opening for a few one liners!)

Doug,

Tell me more about your second set of reef points. I had one set installed, just under the first batten, I think about 42 inches up. Where did you install the second set?

I think a pulpit might be more useful than lifelines actually. It creates a space for jib to be pulled down into, plus give some handholds at a place on the deck that seems to toss the most, and has the least space. I think I would feel more secure, even with a small pulpit and no lifelines.

Sail magazine has an excellent picture of a person going over, albeit on a larger boat. p 40
Roger

Reef Points

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:40 pm

Roger:

First Set:

Leech corner ring 3 feet 7 inches above clew, Luff corner ring 3 feet 4 inches above tack.

Second Set:

Leech corner ring 7 feet 2 inches above clew, Luff corner ring 6 feet 8 inches above tack.

Second set is same distance from the first set as the first set is from the foot of the sail.

Cheers
Doug

and how is the handling

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:31 pm

When you have reefed in you second set, are you still flying the jib? What is your weather helm/balance like with this second reef in?
Roger

Postby Doug » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:52 am

I'm still flying the jib with the second set in. The boat will still point into the wind though there is less weather helm than with the full main.

Cheers
Doug

Postby texaspsdx » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:39 pm

I used to race Catalina 22's. The very first thing you did when you bought a used 22 was to remove the lifelines. They are dangerous as they are just the right height to cause you to trip overboard. Without the lifelines, you may still go overboard, but better to just fall in than to fall and drag your legs and shins over the lifelines. They are fine on larger boats were you have plenty of room, but our boats the would be a tripping hazzard. My 2 cents worth.
Ron
texaspsdx

Return to Day Sailer II Only