Topping Lift

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Topping Lift

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:21 pm

I have a '73 DSII and have seen that a couple people have made a topping lift. How did you attach the block on either the mast or mast head? Also what other parts will I need. I plan on using wire rope, but what size/length? You can e-mail me @ jakewagner@yahoo.com with pictures.

Thanks!

Jake
Jake

Postby Roger » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:01 am

check the following site for pictures and details of the topping lift arrangement. On mine, I have an eye strap at the top of the past. To this is attached a quick link to a 1/8" line (paraachute shroud cord) that runs down to the end of the boom. The pictures tell the rest of the story. It adjusts at the boom end not the mast top.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoebox.msnw
Roger

Post subject: Topping Lift

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:39 pm

Roger:

Thanks for the info. The pcitures are helpful for the boom end, however I am still unclear how you have it attached at the mast head. Do you have any pictures of this?

Thanks Again!

Jake
Jake

topping lift

Postby Roger » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:39 pm

I have just added a picture of the topping lift set up at the top of the mast. Check my site again and you can see the setup. Let me know if you have any further questions.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoebox.msnw
Roger

topping lift questions

Postby Peter McMinn » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:28 am

Have just reviewed your updates, Roge, and again, bravo for the details. I especially like the "mast-raising leash" idea, although my own mast is keel stepped.

I'm a little confused though, as to why one wouldn't simply use the main halyard attached to the outhaul to keep the boom aloft, instead of a seperate topping llift assembly.

Thought at first this thread might be discussing the spinnaker plole lift, which I think could be up for debate on this size of a boat and spinnaker.

Ideas?

:roll:

Peter
Life's a reach....

_/)~~_/)~~~_/) ~~
Peter McMinn

main halyard vs topping lift

Postby Roger » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:08 am

In a pinch, yes you could use the main halyard for a topping lift, especially if you are mooring, or anchored for the night. The difference and additional benefit of a topping lift is that when you are dropping or reefing the sail. The topping lift holds up the boom so it is not resting the clew end in the cockpit. As well when you are hoisting the main, you are only pulling up on the luff of the sail, not the weight of the boom also.

As for the debate regarding a spinnaker pole lift, the chute is quite light, and with the pole only, tends to droop if the wind is not just right to keep it aloft. With a pole topping lift, you can keep the tack of the chute aligned to the boom. A pole downhaul is not necessary however as the forces are typically not great enough to send the pole flying up. I do use a bungee cord down to an eyestrap at mid deck if it is doing a lot of bouncing however.
Roger

Post subject: main halyard vs topping lift

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:54 pm

Roger:

Thank you for the update. That's a pretty easy set-up to add-on. I plan on keeping my DSII at a dry dock facility next summer and don't wish to use to my main halyard to support all of the weight of the boom when not in use. Do you recall how long your wire rope is for your topping lift?

Thank you again for the info.

Jake
Jake

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:52 pm

I initially used wire rope, but found that the 1/16" aircraft wire would get caught on seams, get stuck between the headboard and sail, and chafe the leech of the sail, so I switched to nylon parachute shroud cord this spring.

The leech of the main is 21" 9" so the main part of the cord is about 20' long, with a thimble at both ends. At the lower end a small block is attached to the thimble, with a 1/8" quick link. The adjustment line is a 1/4" cord that secures to the boom end with a shackle, runs up through the small block at the bottom end of the topping lift, and down to a tube cleat near the boom end on the adjustment line.

Picture 6 & 7 at http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoebox.msnw show the setup. click on the pic for a larger image. I also have a close up of the tube cleat, but would have to send that to you directly by e-mail as it is not on my website.
Roger

Topping Lift

Postby RBobRowe » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:35 pm

I know this is a little late for this subject and I apologise. After talking to some salty sailors around Annapolis and after digging into my own experience, I decided on a topping lift that stays attached to the end of the boom while sailing.

This lift runs from a cleat above the main halyard cleat at the lower end of the mast, up through a cheek block at the top of the mast on the port side. I used screw holes someone had already drilled for a Windicator which broke many years ago. The topping lift line then goes to the end of the boom where it attaches with a quick-snap to a shackle pinned to a fitting that was already there (at the after end of the boom.

When sailing, when the main is up I loosen the lift so the line is free to move with the sail and the wind. It doesn't bind or chafe and it carries a small American flag very nicely. When on the water with the main down, I tauten the topping lift to work with the mainsheet to hold the boom steady amidships. When the boom is off the mast, the topping lift is clipped to the cleat where its bitter end is held.

The advantage is that when I'm ready to douse the main I can keep the end of the boom off the deck with the lift by turning into the wind, going to the mast and tightening it up a bit. I don't have to go to the mast, unclip the lift and then haul aft to clip it to the end of the boom. I usually have to motor into my boat ramp, so I can lift the end of the boom high enough to be out of the way.
Airplanes had to be invented because it's impossible to sail off the edge of the world.
RBobRowe

Return to Day Sailer II Only