Motor recommendations?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Motor recommendations?

Postby Orion » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:33 am

I know the DS II is rated for up to an 8hp OB, but I wondered if anyone had any advice on an ideal size motor? I'd like as much hp as possible but don't want to drag a lead weight around with me....
Orion

Re: Motor recommendations?

Postby jackson2191 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:50 pm

All I can offer is my experience with a 3 hp. I can motor pretty much at hull speed (even in the yucky chop of SF Bay), it is easy and cheap to service, and very light (35 lbs. or so). I don't keep the motor on the transom while trailering because I worry about transom damage on an older boat. So I easily maneuver the motor to/from the pick-up bed to the transom when launching, and I wouldn't want to heft any more weight.
Chris.......................
jackson2191

Postby psness » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:14 pm

I don't have a motor on my DSII but was considering one last year. Decided I didn't really need it for the lake we sail on (we got two paddles). However, I did some research on this site last year and concluded an electric trolling motor would be the way to go. About 25-30 lb. would be enough. The line could be run in the drain track, through one of the holes into the cuddy, and then strap the battery box around the mast with a bungy cord.
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

Postby texaspsdx » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:31 pm

I have a 2hp Johnson on mine. Weighs around 30#. Most of time it is just back there. Only use it once in a great while. Not sure I really need it.
Ron
texaspsdx

Motor question

Postby twista » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:14 am

I have a 1957 Johnson 3 hp....still runs awsome and pushes the boat along fine when the wind dies...
twista

Postby Orion » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:48 am

So it sounds like a 3 hp will do. It would be nice to have some advice from someone using something larger.
Orion

motor question

Postby twista » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:04 pm

A larger motor will more than likely require a separate gas tank, more weight, higher price etc... A 3 or 4hp has plenty of speed/power for the DS hull. I don't believe there is a need to go with more HP
twista

Outboard Motor

Postby jake » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:12 pm

I have some experience with a motor with my '73 DSII. It came with a mid 60's 3 HP 2 stroke Johnson. It was a strong motor, but I hated trying to start it, mixing the fuel, and it was loud.

My boat sat for the last 5 yrs and I gave up on the old Johnson motor. I purchased a brand new Mercury 4 HP 4 stroke last year, although it came with a hefty price tag. I love it!! It starts on one pull, has reverse, and it purrs like a kitten (very quiet). I had to go with the 4 HP because it was the smallest 4 stroke Mercurty motor available with reverse. It's a little heavy - 54 pounds but it'll outlast the boat. I seldom use the motor but am darn glad I have it. I also purchased an external fuel tank (3 gallon) as the motor has a small fuel tank located on top.

I used to sail on Western Lake Ontario in New York State, but have since moved to Arizona. Yes, there is water in Arizona! Last year I was watching a storm come in from the north while on Lake Pleasant (north of Phoenix) and saw some lightning. My idea of fun is not standing on a non-grounded boat with a 27 ft lightning rod. I cranked on the motor and cruised back to the trailer. Yes, I beat the storm.

I will admit the 4 HP is a little much, but it has already paid off when I needed to get out of the water in a hurry. I ran all last summer on 5 gallons of fuel. I usually go out about 3-4 times a month and the wind always dies mid-day due to the extreme heat out here (100+) degrees in the summer.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need any further info.

Jake
jake

5hp

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:32 am

I have a 5 hp 2 cyc and find it a bit heavy on the back end making the boat squat. It does move the boat nicely though. I would recommend something a bit smaller, especially if you were going with a 4 cyc which are a bit heavier for the same hp. I have considered a 54# thrust electric, with a battery placed forward, but it would not have the long lasting cruising power that the gas motor does.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only