Cable replacement dilemma

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby radtek71 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:20 am

I believe the my DS II is a 1970 model hull number 26240. I began the repair today. I removed the center board which is probably the easiest thing I have done on the boat. I will describe my CB the best I can. Hopefully yours is like mine.
Facing the bow in boat is the down haul rope it is attached to the deck inside the cuddy, a pulley is on the rope and the cable is attached to the pulley it passes through the CB trunk and attaches to the CB, The Up haul cable is towards the stern mounted on the right side of the CBV trunk. It goes through a block and down the center of the end of the CB trunk around a pulley and down to the CB.

Now my CB originally had the cable enter through the trailing edge. It was sandwiched between the Fiber Glass. It looks like the down haul cable comes over the top of the CB and goes into the CB makes a loop inside the CB then comes out and goes up to the back of the CB trunk to the cockpit.

Now if yours works the same way you can help if not maybe you can give me some suggestions.

I have two new cables with 5 inch tangs on them at one end of the tang it is twisted so that a cross is made if looking from the top down. My idea is to mount them close to where the cables entered and exited the CB and recess them into the CB so that there is not a clearance issue.

I don't think I can move the down haul cable to the leading edge in front of the pivot bolt due to losing the ability to haul it up. OR can I?

SO I am puzzled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
radtek71

the down haul

Postby Roger » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:49 pm

With the board in the up position, the nylon line embedded in the lower forward corner of the cb needs to run along the top edge of the cb (crossing the metal line at about 90 degrees). It then comes through the top hole, then to the top of the cuddy roof where there is a two part block system to facilitate lowering the board.

The uphaul cable and the nylon line in the centerboard trunk running by each other do not chafe because the tang offsets the wire to the side of the cb, whereas the line is epoxied in the center of the cb. Also only one line or the other is under tension at any one time. Brilliant design!)

You can access a scanned copy of the cb rigging scheme at my website http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... PhotoID=97
Roger

Postby jeffllewis » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:37 am

I also was puzzled by the centerboard cable and block system until I saw the diagram posted by Roger. It showed me that I was missing some blocks and I was able to get some from the boatyard where I purchaced the boat and a hardware store provided the rest. I took some pictures with a 35mm camera and then scanned them into my computer this evening. Just prior to this post I uploaded them to my personal web page. To see these pics click on the link or copy and paste the address " http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffllewis/id1.html " into the address bar of your browser. The blocks attached to the steel uphaul and downhaul cables are awning pulleys from the hardware store. Heavier but cheaper than those at the boatyard. You have to swage (crimp) the steel cables to the pulleys. Everything but the swaging tool and screws came with the cables from DR Marine. Hope these pics help. 8) Jeff Lewis.
Jeff Lewis
1974 daysailer II
jeffllewis

lower end of bungee

Postby Roger » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:23 am

Does the lower part of the bungee attach to the eye of the block? If so how, it looks like both ends are clipped on at the top block.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only