bolted deck to hull

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

bolted deck to hull

Postby rob harold » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:12 pm

I am looking at a "81 Day Sailor II. Along the edge of the forward deck where it overlaps the top edge of the hull, the owner installed 1/4 inch bolts with counter sunk washers every foot or so "as a precaution". Is there some issue with day sailor decks separating from the hull?

Though the bolts were screwed in with countersunk washers, the head of the bolt and the washer still protude. They are not covered by a rub rail. Do day sailors have rub rails?

Thanks in advance for any information.
rob harold

stemhead issue

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:23 pm

Although the chainplates are through bolted for the shrouds, the stemhead is only attached to the foredeck. It therefore exerts un upward pull at the stem due to the forestay.

The hull to deck joint has a filler/adhesive in it, but because the gunwale is subject to dock banging abuse, flex, and the strain of the forestay, the hull/deck joint has been a known area of leaks on many boats constructed in this manner, not only the daysailer. I have added an anchor chock near the stemhead, and made sure it was through bolted to add some security.

There have been some owners who describe the hull/deck joint opening up under strain. You would be well advised to have through bolts at the stemhead.

I had a separation at about the 10:00 o'clock position ahead of the cuddy. I braced a 2x4 between the upper deck lip and the ground while the boat was on the trailer to increase the gap while I inserted epoxy. I then let go the 2x4 and clamped the hull and deck together with C-clamps overnight.

I have no added toerails on mine.

Hope this helps.
Roger

Rub rails

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:42 pm

"Do day sailors have rub rails?"

Yep. There's a rigid mounting strip that rivits onto the deck/hull seam. Then the rubber rail mounts onto the strip. Thru bolts doubled up on the transom.

Got mine from Hamilton Marine for around $70. for the two parts.
Peter McMinn

Postby Felix Graham-Jones » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:22 pm

Is there some issue with day sailor decks separating from the hull?
If you look on this site's Repair and Maintenance topic you will see a thread entitled "Topside separated from Hull". It is worth a read in this context - every DS owner should be aware of this issue.
Felix Graham-Jones

Postby rob harold » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:35 pm

Thank-you, everybody, for the eye-opening discussion of deck-hull separation. (I thought it was a little cheap that O'Day used staples to secure the deck to the hull on Mariners, but just using glue on the Day Sailers is really negligent!)
rob harold

Return to Day Sailer II Only