Purchase advice

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Purchase advice

Postby HarvardTiger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:47 pm

Greetings, all!

Great forum! I've been lurking while shopping for a suitable daysailer (little "d") for my wife and me. I'm looking for something fun and a little exciting to improve my sailing skills, something that will move in the light airs of a hot and muggy Alabama summer, and something stable my wife can enjoy without white-knuckles.

I've found a few Day Sailers for sale and am trying to learn more about them on the 'net. Any thoughts any of you would like to share, please do!

A specific question: One boat I am considering received a rather large "scratch" on its hull above the waterline that, I am told, has been filled and sanded. It's a '77 model year. How can I be sure the repair was done properly? What should I ask and what should I look for?

Are there any areas on the Day Sailers that tend to leak? Any other pre-purchase advice?

Lastly, I am very interested in painting whatever boat I get over the winter. I have read the thread herein [ http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1342 ] about painting the hull, etc., and would like some further advice. It seems that gelcoats don't react perfectly to paint jobs; any advice for painting that goes beyond the above thread in general and about painting the repair job referenced above? How do professional boat repair shops paint gelcoat after a repair?

Many thanks in advance.

Fair winds,
- Jim
- Montgomery, Alabama
- Former Catalina 22 owner, wanting to get closer to the H2O!
HarvardTiger

DS shortcomings

Postby Roger » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:38 am

I'll limit my comments to the DSII of which I am very familiar. The DS shortcomings are hugely overshadowed by its longevity, reliability, and great inherent design characteristics. It is easily sailed flat, even single handed, yet can be quite lively and spirited when 'pushed'. It is easy to maintain and repair by yourself, and its size allows you to manage it on and off the water with ease. It is a great boat to learn to manage the finer point of sail, and sailboat management.

The few shortcomings of the DSII can easily be managed. In fact I have just written a book on that very topic. (roger02@mts.net) Many owners comment on the fact that it tends to leak at the centerboard pivot bolt, easily repaired by a couple of socket wrenchs and a pair of new $7 rubber gaskets, a $2 plumbing fitting to fix the likely leak at the uphaul. Original shrouds on most boats that are currently sailed have been upgraded from the original 3/32 to 1/8". Similarily, since most of these boats are 30+ years old, sails and running rigging may need attention if original. In most cases, they have already been upgraded by current owners. Most current owners have upgraded to a hinged mast, jiffy reefing, and midship cleats. As well, a few owners have reported needing to replace the boweye, not a difficult process. All of the above information is readily avialable in the aforementioned book.

As for the scratch you mention, if it is indeed a scratch, not a gouge then any cosmetic repair is likely adequate. If it was a gouge however, and went down to or into the fg cloth, then check for delamination, or blistering around the fix. (You will feel flexing as you push with your thumb, that will feel different from the area 6 inches away) If it was a gouge and the damage was left open for some time, water may have gotten into the fg layers and if the boat was a northern boat and went through few freeze/thaw cycles, before it was repaired, it may have delaminated around the fix.

As for painting the hull, I can vouch for the information in the thread you indicate. If you can refurbish the gelcoat, do so, it is much more longlasting. If you must paint to hide fg repairs, then do so with quality paint, because you will likely be painting the hull every couple of years, especially if the boat is moored.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would highly recommend this boat.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only