Sailing alone

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Sailing alone

Postby gabond » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:39 am

I have owned a 1974 DSII for two years, and have always sailed it with a crew. Now that I am familiar with the boat and its handling, I would like at times to sail by myself.

Are there any special techniques or considerations I should know about? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry
gabond

Postby calden » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:15 am

There are several discussions about singlehanding ideas. Do a search for "singlehand" and they'll pop up. Everything from rigging modifications to ideas on not capsizing.

I chose to buy a DS, in part, because of the ability to sail it myself. I don't want to beg family or friends if the wind is right. I've found it's slightly more work to go solo, but fine once under way. For me I just need to be more organized, and careful in how I raise sails, etc.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

sailing solo

Postby Roger » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:18 pm

Other than the obvious, lines led back, jib furler etc, the less known things that make single handing easier, are a bungee athwartships under the tiller, with a thumb cleat to hold the tiller in any given position. This lets you use two hands for some tasks and allows you to go forward or retrieve a sandwich or a drink, while still maintaining your course. Boat trim and course line are affected however when you go forward, so be aware of that.

The second thing to remember is that although you can cleat your sheets, keep them both in hand or on your lap, ready for rapid release. Hiking straps and a tiller extender help, so that you can get your solo weight out further to keep the boat as upright as possible.
Roger

solo sailing

Postby nance » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:59 am

I have been sailing my daysailer II solo for nearly 10 years. I don't have a self-furling jib, and it hasn't been much of an issue. A tiller extension is essential, both to get your weight forward and to be able to reach the jib sheets (mine are on the centerboard housing). The second thing I would do is have reef points put on your mainsail if they're not there already. I find that in both heavy winds, the boat is much more balanced with the jib than without. As a result, when the winds are heavier, and I'm likely to get really bounced around in the boat, I reef the main and leave the jib up. The boat sails really well (though a bit sluggishly), and I can still point the boat close to the wind due to the jib.
nance

Postby mfeldman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:18 pm

I do a lot of single handed sailing in my DS1 and would recommend the following:

1) Get a tiller tender or make your own to lock down the tiller. It's absolutely essential when you have to move forward to make adjustments.
2) Make sure you run your lines so you can adjust the jib.
3) Safety first! Wear a life vest at all times. I always sail very conservatively when alone. I never hike and I always have my hand on the main sheet so I can release it if the boat starts to heel excessively. Remember, with only one person the boat is significantly lighter and thus less stable. Know your limits. Stick with light winds until you're comfortable.
4) Learn -- and practice -- heaving to so you can stop the boat. (The maneuver is described elsewhere in the forum.

Enjoy. A solitary sail is -- at least for me -- one of the most enjoyable experiences you can have on the water.

Good luck,

Mike
mfeldman

Postby gabond » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:32 am

Those are great suggestions, thanks a lot! I am looking forward to some fun crew-less sails.

Great wind here on Seneca Lake in western NY for the next two days, may have to start my little experiment soon...
gabond

Postby spoefish » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Having all the lines in the cockpit is a big help, and one thing that has not been mentioned is a line from the head of the jib that runs down to a block at the tack. When this line is led aft to the cockpit it lets you pull down the jib without having to go forward. A big help when things are bouncing around and you need to get sails in. I started using this on my Typhoon and liked it so much that I added it to my DS I. Having all the haulyards, etc where you can get to them while standing in the cockpit is a comfortable feeling and gives you a lot of control. On your jib sheet you might consider having just one line with both ends tied to the clew - that way the sheet is just a loop going through the cockpit and you are never hunting for a loose end. A lot of little things you will figure out, and in the end you will end up with works for you. Sailing a DS solo is great fun and that is how most of my time has been spent.

Stephen

1976 15’ Matinicus Peapod, cedar lapstrake, spritsail
1979 Cape Dory Typhoon “Nymph”
1983 Day Sailer I, 11670 “Full Circle”
2004 17” Atkinson Traveler cedar & canvas canoe with lateen sailing rig
And a barn full of wooden canoes and kayaks, a rowing Whitehall, etc.
"When you are playin' the banjo, everything is OK"

Steve Martin
spoefish

Tiller Tamer

Postby Frank Marafiote » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:38 am

This has been a great thread about sailing singlehanded. Several posts referred to a tiller tamer and I would be interested in the solutions other people have come up with.

There is a commercial product that I looked into that is sold by West Marine. It looked promising but according to the specs the handle of my tiller is not wide enough to attach the hardware. Has anyone done a workaround for this problem or devised their own hand-made solution?

-- Thanks, Frank
Save Gas. Drive A Sailboat!
www.cafepress.com/driveasailboat
Frank Marafiote

Postby calden » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:04 am

Frank:

I made my own tiller minder. Go see this discussion for my ideas and pictures of what I did:

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopi ... ght=tiller

Since then I've altered the design a bit: instead of using a small block I use a small dog-leash clip. I've also put a small stainless steel ring on the strap eye for the gunwale line to go through. The whole thing is easier to put on, and the increased friction helps.

However, mine is a bit over-engineered. Other sailors have used an even simpler solution - a bungee cord strung up gunwale to gunwale, and a jam cleat on the tiller. When the tiller must stay still, just pull the bungee up (forward) and loop it under the cleat.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Thanks for a great solution!

Postby Frank Marafiote » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:21 pm

This looks like a very practical and "doable" solution to my tiller tamer question. I will give it a try!

Thanks so much for posting the link. I printed out the photos as my "how to" guide.

-- Frank :lol:
Save Gas. Drive A Sailboat!
www.cafepress.com/driveasailboat
Frank Marafiote

Return to Day Sailer II Only