Another C/B ?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Another C/B ?

Postby etonline » Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 am

So reading thru the repair advice on the leaking centerboard saga........I got to thinking.

Is there a reason the cable has to be cable as it tends to egg out the 'donut'?

If I am going to fix the problem even with brass the steel cable will egg it out over time.

Why not use rope?

Later
Ed from Iowa
etonline

Postby Lloyd Franks » Mon May 28, 2007 7:51 pm

I think cable is used for strength. Rope will abrade against the areas it rubs , and will break. Better to have the cable be the winner in an abrasion conteast...Cause when the cable breaks, and it will if not monitored and maintained, it's a passle of work to replace. I gave up on the cables, and changed the CB raising and lowering to a system that is elegantly simple, and bullet-proof (see post and replies below). My system may not be legal for racing, but I'm not sure. But it's not a problem for me as I do not race. Good luck with the project.
Lloyd Franks

Postby etonline » Tue May 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Well I don't believe that the c/b is heavy enough to warrent cable.

Is there any weight in the DS II c/b, or is it just wood and FG?

My O-23 just uses one rope and it has a small amount to weight in it ( about 25#), that keeps in in the down postion abd the rope is just an uphaul.

Most 'keel' boats that have a cable system have a cast iron or lead center board that is several hundred pounds. The Rhodes and Mariners are about 300 - 400#.
etonline

Return to Day Sailer II Only