Another new DS sailor with questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Another new DS sailor with questions

Postby Mike & Lisa » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 pm

We are the happy new owner of a DSII, hull 8948. We bought it in the US and brought it to Canada, so if anyone has questions about this, let me know., It was quite simple to get it into Canada. We thought we’d wait for a first few sails before posting. Two technical questions first:

We have consistent play in the lower portion of our tabernacled mast, shortly after tightening everything down. Despite several efforts, I cannot get the screws in the mast foot to remain tight to the hull, and each time shortly after launching I get some play in the mast. I have tried Loctite without success, so don’t really understand what the screws go into. I have a number of options: regular wood glue, a polymer glue, epoxy, silicon, or a larger screw. Any thoughts on the best approach, or is this a reasonable expectation?

I had thought the slop in the lower mast portion might contribute to the excessive mast clunking described by Woden, as I get it too on jibe, but don’t know.

As well, as a new sailor, I am still having trouble discerning among the functions of the boom vang [my purchase has one], the CB mainsheet, and the advantages of a traveler. I have crewed on larger vessels and can see that the traveler can have advantages in leverage depending upon boom position, but is it that influential on a boat this size?

On top of both of these questions, you should know that I think we have a so-called ‘blown-out’ sail [also referenced in the boom-clunk issue] , and cannot get a nice foil off of the one we have, despite all of the advice provided to Woden. I think we will continue to experiment with what we have until we decide to go further, and the make an investment in a new main, depending upon our decision about the boat. In addition to Woden’s experience, we heel over quite quickly in any kind of substantial gust, and the boat turns immediately to weather.

This forum has been an illuminating resource [but don’t forget forums for DSI and DSIII for other technical tips] and Roger’s book has been an invaluable resource for a great many things for a first-time sailor. Thanks to all of you that contribute.

Mike and Lisa
Sault Ste. Marie
Mike & Lisa

Return to Day Sailer II Only