tiller extension

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: tiller extension

Postby IslandFarmer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:50 pm

I'm getting tired of the rope extension I devised last summer ... a length of rope hitched at its middle (near the end of the tiller) both strands of which I hold when on the rail . . . and have decided to splurge on a tiller extension ... the telescoping Forspar one that goes to 48" sounds good (that's the "M" in these two models).
The Stay-Fast model: SF-M costs more than the quick release model TFP-M. WestMarine does not sell SF-M, which Defender (Waterford, CT) sells at $155 (list $197). WM sells TFP-M for $120. I can get it for a little less at Defender.

According to this Forespar handout, https://www.forespar.com/pdf/tillerExtension2.pdf
Stafast (SF): the tiller stays at the same angle so that after crossing the boat the sailor is able to reach back and find the extension in the same position he/she left it.
TFP Quick Release End (TFP): model can be instantly fastened to the tiller by simply depressing the plunger and inserting the detent pin into the special tubular fitting supplied. Again, an easy push on the plunger and the hiking stick is released from the tiller.

I'm going for the telescoping model to be able to sit on the rail with and without crew, want the durability of a metal swivel, and don't much care about the rest. I do not race (at least yet). Mostly short sails (1–3 hours). Curious what folks on this forum think about this choice . . . .

I am grateful to those who remind to leave a handhold at the end of the tiller. My tiller was made by the PO so has no prior holes.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:32 pm

I have the telescoping model w/ quick release on my DS, but I had the "swivel stick" on another boat. There were features I liked for both.

Telescoping: you can shorten it for stowage and lengthen it so it's longer than the distance tiller to coaming, so you don't trap the extension between tiller and coaming. In the longer setting, it can be a bit long if you have mainsheet rigged with a traveler on the transom. You may need to bring over the extension at the opportune moment.

I like the disconnect since I disconnect often. I rarely need to hike full out and have the reach to sit with my rear on the deck and still steer from there w/o extension. So that's what I tend to do in lighter winds. Also, if any part of the extension gets tangled, getting it disconnected immediately is great.

I haven't sailed in a while with the swivel stick, but I seem to remember that if you had to let it go it wouldn't droop as much, or something, it just felt better in some situations.

I use a bracket I made myself by riveting two bits of velcro strap to a "C" cell flashlight holder from Mag-Lite. That's just the right size to hold the forespar. I tighten the straps, then slide the bracket aft (my tiller is tapered, so this tensions the straps).

I would say, I've not really ever learned to use one of these naturally and easily. Might be different if I had more occasion to practice in sustained winds, but you get what you get.

One more thing: I tend to accidentally unlock the extendible one, which makes it collapse and you lose steering. I haven't decided on a replacement, meaning, this one will do for a bit longer.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:14 pm

Thank you, GreenLake. I bought the TFP Quick Release version from Defender — the only one they had in stock — but plan to return it and ask them to order the Stay-Fast version. I realized I really didn't want another thing to stow (that could fall overboard) and without a traveller (at all), there is less risk of the extension getting caught. (FYI both versions are telescoping.)

When I'm not using it, I assume I can lay it down on my tiller. And thinking a 4–5" ring of shock cord around the tiller that I can pull up over the end of the extension will hold it when not in use, but just read a review that says no clip needed when folded away.

I'm not sure what you mean by a bracket though . . . is it your system for the above?

I guess I will learn from experience how to keep my extension locked when I need it long (or not). :)
Will be so great to fly solo with my weight forward. I love this boat!
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:54 pm

I purchased a wall bracket to store a C-cell MagLite. Fits the tiller extension handle to a T. I had to make straps for it. Simple to do: some strips of velcro which I riveted to the bracket. Small aluminum pop rives are easy and for this job, the cheap tool is sufficient. Just be sure to get the right length (short) and to insert them so the head is on the fabric side, which will be the side resting on the tiller. Or you could screw the bracket into the tiller (which I didn't want to do).

Avoid anything where you need two hands to secure the extension.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 am

Okay, thanks for explaining. Good advice about being able to secure with just one hand. TY
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby talbot » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 am

FWIW, after breaking one of those plastic Forespar extension clips (the ones that catch on the main sheet and tear holes in the tiller cover), I made my own clip out of a block of HDPE (i.e., cutting-board plastic). I just drilled a hole through a wedge of HDPE and then cut off the top, leaving a channel. The extension snaps into the channel. Because it's a solid block, there's nothing to break, and rounding the edges made a slippery, low-profile fitting that doesn't snag.

If you can't find a thick cutting board in a thrift store, HDPE is widely available online. I bought a brick of the stuff maybe 10 years ago and have been nibbling on it ever since. Besides the tiller clip, it has provided shims for running lights and cam cleats, keel skids for my trailer, and probably some other stuff I don't remember.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:02 am

Now I can't get the picture out of my head: you furtively in your workshop, nibbling at that block of HDPE :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby pbobbitt » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:43 pm

Ronstan battle stick...
pbobbitt

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:08 am

For those that do not now this product: do you have links to any images or a description focusing on why you think it's superior? Is it something you are using?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby pbobbitt » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:02 am

Heh.

I used a Ronstan Battlestick because it was cheap, and the mount fit the tiller I had just fabricated to replace the rotted one that came on the boat.
link: https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=072
pbobbitt

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only