New DS II in NJ

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS II in NJ

Postby bm1981 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Greetings all,

I trailered home my first boat, first sailboat and it's sitting in my driveway right now. This weekend I hope to be on the bay.

It's a 1981 DS II. orig sails T-3.5 outboard on a gal trailer and a bilge drain, and working scupper manin jib no Spinn or pole or boom vang .

The drive home - fist time w/ a trailer- was uneventful other than un stepping the mast. There were 6 yellow jacket nests and 2 mud wasp nests int the cuddy. I'll be searching and browsing the forums for answers on many questions. Right now outside of the DMV stuff is to compound the hull and deck, both are really chalky and rough. ( suggestions welcome). I'm also debating replacing the running rigging which is all discolored, mildewed, stiff, and rough. Currently the CB lines and main sheet are sitting a bucket of bleach and water. If they clean up nicely I'll throw the halyards in too.

I have about 18 hours experience on the water I learned to sail at an ASA 101 basic keelboat class on an ensign 23 and just did my first solo sail this weekend. So any tips, tricks and gotchays w/ the DS are appreciated.

If anyone is in the lavalette area this weekend and sees a DS w/ blue/lt blue/Black / Wt sails its me. No name on the hull or number on the sails but I haven't even had her 12 hours yet.
bm1981

Return to Day Sailer II Only