DS II Racing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Racing

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 25, 1998 1:00 am

I bought a used 1984 DaySailer II last summer.
I'm relatively new to the DaySailer world,although I have participated in small boat races, crewing on FJ's.

I mainly intend to use my DaySailer for family recreation, not for racing. I had heard that the DS II is significantly slower than the DS I and that it was no good for racing.

Is this true? What I want to know is: do DS I and II's race together? If not, are there any organized races for DS II's?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the subject.

Francis DeCarvalho (gozzie-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 28, 1998 1:00 am

Yes, DS I and DS II race together.

Having owned and raced both DS I and DS II, I find the biggest difference is the higher center of gravity of the DS II. It has a tenacity to capsize a little easier. Racing will significantly improve your sailing and boat handling skills. So be a better sailer and come out and sail with us.

The Day Sailer II's are welcome at all Day Sailer Association events and all fleet regattas and cruises. There are a number of very active fleets in your area. Most anyone in these fleets will help with any of your questions.

Fleet 56 "The Banana Slug Fleet" - Santa Cruz, CA

Fleet 4 - Palo Alto, CA

Fleet 31 " The Flamingo Fleet" - Fresno, CA

Fleet 97 - Santa Rosa, CA

Contact Scott Carpenter (408) 353-2916,scott@convergant.com

Come out and play!

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only