DSII Centerboard Cable Replacement

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSII Centerboard Cable Replacement

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2001 10:28 am

I am preparing to replace the cable system of my early 70s DSII. In reviewing previous threads I am uncertain as to whether INTERNAL (inside the c/b trunk) blocks are installed as part of the system. I am hoping that this is not the case as it will make for hellish reinstallation since I didn't tie messenger lines to the old cables on removal.

Does anyone have wisdom to share on this item? Too, any advice you may have concerning rigging the cables properly would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks from the guy in Maine...

Bill (wmahoney-at-smsllc.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2001 8:50 pm

There are no blocks inside the centerboard or the centerboard trunk that I'm aware of. Take a look at the DS II discussion items here, there are a few diagrams showing how the control lines/cables are rigged.
I removed the centerboard from my 1979 DS II one winter for maintainence, you may need to run a small stiff wire (I used a roll of "twist-tie" wire) to feed the lines up through the holes in the trunk when you re-install the CB.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:39 am

Well, I "bit the bullet" and have removed "SUNBIRD,s" centerboard again this Fall. Due to the fact that I have developed a way to take the boat halfway off the trailer to paint the bottom, I found it much easier to get the board out this time than before (last time was first year that I owned the boat).
So anyway, I took a couple of photos of how the up line and downline were attached. When I get these photos developed, I will be able to e-mail them if needed.
I removed the board to fix a crack that had developed along the leading edge, the board in my boat is somewhat hollow and when I removed the sealant that I had used last Spring to fill the crack..about a gallon (OK, maybe 2-3 quarts!) drained out. I plan to weigh the board and hope to be able to fill the hollow without exceeding the 25# class maximum for the weight of the board. I don't race, but would not wish to do anything to violate class-measurement rules. I also will sand/grind down the spot that obviously have been rubbing on the cb trunk.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 31, 2001 9:42 am

I would love to see your pictures. I refurbished my boat (1974 DSII, Capt. Scott) last winter/spring and in reinstalling the cables I have something wrong. On my boat there are two dirrerent size cables, one 1/8" and on 3/32". I apparnently have the wrong one going up through the centerboard trunk. I believe that the smaller cable should go through the trunk and the larger one into the cuddy cabin. (I have it the other way around and it doesn't work. when I pull the boat for the winter I want to fix my error, but if someone could confirm the proper way the cables should go I would be grateful.
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 01, 2001 8:44 pm

Jim, the lifting cable should run forward from the top forward corner of the board, and the cable to lower the board should run up from the lower, forward corner of the board. Check out the other postings about DS II centerboards, one of them includes a diagram of how the cables are set up. I do know that the earlier DS IIs ran the cables different from the later boats, on my 1979 the cable to raise the board runs forward in the cuddy and has a block on the end through which the lifting line runs. The downline on mine is a 1/4" dacron 3-strand line (not cable) and runs up through a hole in the top of the CB trunk at it's forward end with a block on the line that the line to pull the board down runs through.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 01, 2001 8:52 pm

I was wondering if replacing the 3 strand line with more modern woven line and possibly updating the pullys would significantly reduce the friction in the system. My board works ok but sometimes I feel that the line is binding.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2001 8:03 am

Thanks Ron. As I suspected I have the cables backward. Thanks for your help.

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:55 am

Harris, I too have considered replacing the stock 3-strand line with a "high-tech" braided line. Since my board is presently out of the boat for the winter (note my earlier post), I plan to replace the short piece of line that is attached to the board to pull it down. I thought about going with a braided line, however...my experience is that three-strand deacron is more resistant to chafe than a braided line would be, so I'm leaning toward using three-strand. I still have all the original fittings in my cb control line system, and I am not sure that you will benefit enough from replacing the blocks and lines with say, ball-bearing blocks and Kevlar lines. My board "jams" at times if I pull it all the way up (I'm on a mooring and normally leave the board about 1/3 down) when this happens I can actually pull the top of the cuddy down a bit with the line that pulls the board down, so I don't think that the blocks are causing friction. The real problem became clear when I removed the board, it rubs against the sides of the trunk on the top forward corner of the board. I will sand/grind this area a bit to reduce this. Also, I have found that the board will "jam" while sailing due to the fact that it will move (swing) slightly side to side, if I turn the boat into the wind a bit to take the pressure off the sails (and the board) the cb will "suddenly" unjamb.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:37 am

All true, your experience with the board is very similar to mine. Compared to issues relateing to larger centerboard on swing keel boat......I consider the DS 2 one of the most trouble free. I found that careening the boat monthly (laying it on its side) and clearing the board and trunk of growth makes things alot smoother.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only