Mast in DSII

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast in DSII

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:15 pm

This is regarding the DSII mast. Mine has the hinge above the cuddy but there is nothing to hold the lower part in. I find that when raising the mast the lower portion may pull out of the step leaving me with an wiggling mast. Is the bottom portion of the mast supposed to be attached somehow?

Thanks

MIke Smith (miksmith53-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2001 9:58 am

Mike, you could drill and tap a hole through the mast and mast-step casting and ecrew in a small bolt to keep the lower mast section in place. I would have thought that it would stay on it's own, but you are not the first owner to have this problem. My mast is still one-piece, but this idea should work.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:47 am

Rather than drilling and tapping your step, you could try tying a clove hitch tight around the lower section of the mast under the cuddy with some fat soft line - 3/4 in. multi braid works for me. This keeps the lower section from drifting off it's foot while I'm lifting the upper section of the mast up enough so it's weight will keep everything where it should be.
I've also read of people using a sailstop to keep the lower section in place - I would be a little concerned about a hard arrangement like that tearing thro' the cuddy roof if some thing went drastically wrong while raising or lowering the mast.
Fair winds Felix

Felix Graham-Jones (felix.graham-jones-at-snet.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:47 pm

Thanks, you folks are great. I tried the clove hitch and it worked great. I should have thought of it.

MIke Smith (miksmith53-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only