DS II Stress Cracks And hull Flex

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Stress Cracks And hull Flex

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2001 9:24 pm

I am looking at used DS II Would you mind telling me of any problem areas to look for.
The hull seems to be in good condition for a '73, with the exception of stress
cracks around the centerboard trunk area. The bottom of the hull seems to
flex if I press down hard on the sides while it is on the trailer.
Do You think any of the above are normal ?

Tony (Tvernace-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 23, 2001 9:52 pm

Hi.

My DS2 had the same and eventually I began to notice more and more water to drain from the bilge plug when landed. I eventually cut two large rectangular holes in the cockpit floor and ground out the cracks from inside and outside. Filled, re-glassed and added two 2x2 white oak "keels" laminated in glass and glassed into place, either side of the CB at the hull (inside of course) then re-glassed the pieces into the cockpit floor. While I was in there I redid the CB cable at the CB and the pivot bolt hole. I think its a great boat and was worth all this... once....... but honestly.... never again. If it cracks there again I'm selling it for a Viking funeral.

I believe the gator trailor (stock with the boat as far as I know) is not really quite right for the DS. After all there really isn't any special bracing. Just the generic dingy runner boards with carpet cover.

So, there. It's all a matter of judgement as to how bad the situation is and what it will take to fix it.

MAK (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only