Let's Talk Centerboard operation.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Let's Talk Centerboard operation.

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:58 pm

I replaced the horn cleat w/ an auto-release clamcleat for the downhaul and a regular one for the uphaul. Pics in my gallery. BTW, DWBBS has 'em for a bit less than WM:

http://duckworksbbs.com/hardware/cleats ... /index.htm
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby david51 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:56 pm

centerboard and selfbaling? I just launched my DSII for the 1st time. The enclosed hull is filling with water. Is this normal? Also, both lines to the centerboard are frozen. I'm going to try to go under her to have a look. Which line is the the one to raise the board?
david51

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Welcome David!

First off, self-bailing pretty much only refers to the auto-bailer for draining water from the cockpit while underway. There are a myriad of posts on this forum that discuss that "feature".

The line (wire) to raise the centerboard (the uphaul) is the one that exits the forward end of the CB trunk inside the cuddy. As to water in the bilge, the most common cause on the DS2 is gaps between the outer CB trunk (water side) and the inner trunk (what you see in the cuddy), where that UH passes through. During manufacture, filler was "smushed" into that area, and either wasn't done completely to begin with, or over time has fallen out. This causes water to be pumped into the bilge, because that gap leads directly to it, while sailing with the board down. There is a fix for the problem involving threading a pipe nipple through the passage. Again, there are many threads on this topic here, and a search using the method described in the Forum Info area will give you the best result.

If your bilge is filling with water while the boat is at rest on the water, then you have some other leak(s) that will need some attention. Rain water can also end up in the bilge if it is allowed to collect in the cockpit and there are other voids, such as leaking inspection port seals, etc.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:25 am

There are multiple theads on DS leak stoppage. The sources are generally:
--The through-hull where the CB uphaul goes through the double-hull into the cuddy.
--A poorly installed drainplug fitting (um, you DID put the plug in, right?)
--The CB pivot
--Cracked inspection ports.

Search the forum for exhaustive detail on each of these issues.

Back to CB operation: when I had my boat on a lift last year, I looked at the approximate angles of the board in relation to various positions of my downhaul block (which, yes, leads to a cam cleat, 'cuz when you run aground you want that puppy to release and stay released). Anyway, I installed a rubber chunk to keep the board at 90 degrees when fully lowered, and made a graduated scale on the CB trunk under the downhaul line (0-15-30-45-60-75-90), so I can guesstimate the angle of the board in the water. Probably pseudoscience, but it makes it look like the boat and its owner are more technologically advanced than their performance would otherwise indicate.
talbot

Postby Madcitysal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:28 pm

We have difficulty raising and lowering the CB on our DS II. This is our first season, and I'm perplexed with how hard it is to lower it. Raising it also requires lots of force but not as much as lowering it. 30 years ago, I owned at DS I, and I really liked using the lever to raise/lower the CB. DS II CB has been disappointing. Any suggestions?
Madcitysal

Postby ldeikis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Madcitysal wrote:We have difficulty raising and lowering the CB on our DS II. This is our first season, and I'm perplexed with how hard it is to lower it. Raising it also requires lots of force but not as much as lowering it. 30 years ago, I owned at DS I, and I really liked using the lever to raise/lower the CB. DS II CB has been disappointing. Any suggestions?

It seems like, barring huge buildup of barnacles or something (has the boat been on a mooring?), that issue is usually related to the cable binding alongside the board. This is very easy to see if you can "yard launch" the boat and careen it sidwways. On a few early boats (mine included: see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4944) the cable routing from Oday left something to be desired, and it can wear a groove that then introduces tremendous friction to the line. On other boats, it's an issue of not keeping a little tension on the line at all times, which can allow excess to loop up in the trunk and get where it shouldn't. My boat has tons of issues, but after getting the cable to run where it ought the board goes up and down with the very gentlest of pressure. Prior to fixing it, it had jammed so badly that with all my strength I could not get the darn thing back up and had had to use the trailer to bump the board enough to retrieve the boat.

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Postby talbot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:54 pm

It's almost always the cable. What year is your DSII? At some point by 1979, O'Day acknowleged the problem and began including a bungee cord tensioner on the uphaul, so that even when the board is totally down (the uphaul totally slack), there's enough tension to keep the wire inside the trunk from dropping between the CB and side of the trunk. (I think a lot of people liked the DS I handle, because when Cap Cod Shipbuilding took over the manufacturing, they brought it back). Anyway, assuming you can pull the boat and get the board removed or at least unstuck, adding the bungee can be done easily by attaching it around or to the mast.
Last edited by talbot on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talbot

Postby jeadstx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 am

Most of the time I have no problems with my DS II board control lines, although when sailing I sometimes encounter some problems adjusting the board. On downwind runs I'll bring the board up to go a little faster, but always lower it again before I change course due to resistance on the board. I have had a time or two when it won't lower due to water pressure on the board.

I think most of the DS II sailors wish we had the lever system rather than the line system.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:05 pm

Just to be fair, the lever system does have some issues of it's own, perhaps not as difficult to solve/fix as the cable system's, but it is by no means a perfect system either ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby Signalcharlie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:53 am

Those with sticky centerboards would be well advised to check the board to see if it has been compromised by water. Water can get past the fiberglass and swell the material inside, and the board will not be easy to move either way, and it could fail at the least opportune time. We just had our waterlogged 1971 DSII board reworked and it moves great now. We had Advanced Yachtworks in the Pensacola shipyard do it and it cost $700 for removal, core repair, sanding, fiberglass, sand, prime, sand, bottom paint, reinstall with new stainless pivot bolt, reseal the hardware and re rigging of the UH/DH lines. Not sure what a new centerboard runs but I was very happy with the quality of the work, not having to careen my boat for the first time and comfort in knowing the board is probably good for another 40 years.

Steve at http://www.advancedyachtworks.com/ did the work. If anyone needs a board repaired you could ship it in or head down to PCola to the boat spa :)

Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Postby danjim » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:35 pm

I've got a new-to-me 1973 DS II and a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with, so thanks in advance.

1) I am having issues getting the centerboard to fully lower. Does the '73 DS II come with both uphaul and downhaul? Mine has a hole in the centerboard trunk.. was initially thinking it was an addition from a previous owner but now I'm thinking a downhaul cable may have snapped off the CB. Uphaul works fine, more or less.
2) Assuming what I have is the original CB for the '73 DS II, are those cable ends embedded in the board or do they attach to a fitting that is attached to the CB?
2) Is there an easier way to get my centerboard off the boat to clean it up than cutting the crimp off the uphaul cable so that I can get it off the block and through the pendant through-holes that go into the cabin?
danjim

Postby ndet42 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Danjim
Did you get answers? See none posted and I have similar questions with my 72 DS2.
New to me and asked questions on a similar thread but folks must be sailing..,
thx
ndet42

Postby smitrock63 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:33 am

My centerboard won't go all the way up and not sure why.
I have enough line, but it just won't go. When I set it on the trailer, the CB hits a cross member. Very bothersome. I can't figure it out.
smitrock63

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 am

With the boat on the trailer, can you manually push the board higher? If not, there are two options:
  1. Something is stuck in the trunk and prevents the board from going up.
  2. There's not enough slack in the downhaul
If yes, then the answer would be that something like a knot or other bulky thing in your uphaul line hits the CB trunk wall and prevents you from pulling all of it out; when you manually push the CB up, that bit of line goes slack, but since it's stuck, you can't tell on the line side of it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby carl10579 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:39 am

I just drop the centerboard and I don't tie off the downhaul. A bungee on the uphaul keeps the slack out of the cable. Even when planed I've never seen the centerboard want to raise on its own. When sailing solo she can really get moving. But no matter how well I think I'm doing, the Hobie's zip right past. Damn cats.

Carl
carl10579

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer II Only