Electric Wind

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Electric Wind

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2001 12:23 am

I recently purchased a DSII and am considering an electric trolling motor as auxilliary power. Discussion mentions 2-4 hp motors for the most part. What I've read from mfg./dealer sites indicates that you need one pound of thrust for every seventy pounds of boat. Given that the boat weighs in at 575, I figure 1200 lbs for boat, crew, and junk. Which would mean that I'd need a motor with about 17 lbs of thrust. The small MinnKota motor puts out 30 pounds of thrust and sells for about a hundred bucks. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any thoughts or experience on the subject.

Dan Carow (carow-at-valinet.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:49 pm

On a lake, to get you home when the wind dies, this motor will work great. I don't know about coastal & tides and such, but on a lake the trolling motor is a good choice, if you must have a motor. Even a small trolling moter will push the boat along at a reasonable speed.

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 06, 2001 10:23 pm

Thanx Jim,
Turns out there is more commentary on the subject in other threads, I just hadn't stumbled over them as yet.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:24 pm

Hi;
I'd like to see the other discussion too. Where?
The trolling motor sounds good to me too. The small gunk-hole puddles I've been sailing can be paddled across in twenty min. but on a good sailing lake a small light dependable motor would be good. I do have a 3 hp. outboard for the Great Lakes sailing but have done little of that.

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:02 am

I ended up getting a trolling motor -Minkota 36lb thrust for about $130.- use it for all sorts of reasons..., night (lights too), fishing, becalmed, getting out of tight launches on the lee shore. I can't see a gas job unless you're up against stiff current, or have a heck of a long way to go. The electric will do about 2 hrs at max speed, 5 knts. thanx to those who responded.

Return to Day Sailer II Only