How is outhaul secured? (DSII)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

How is outhaul secured? (DSII)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:15 pm

How is the outhaul line secured to the boom? At the end of the boom, is there meant to be a block or pulley, or does it just go through the inner hole on the boom end? On the return, how is it meant to be secured in the chrome "chock" on the side of the boom? Just with a stopper knot? Or is there supposed to be a metal or plastic fitting on the line itself, so the fitting rides in the chock?

I note that D&R sells only the outhaul line, not any outhaul fitting.

Christopher Gray, Vineyard Haven and Manhattan
(who got his rear end handed to him, gift-wrapped, this summer in 20 knot winds off Oak Bluffs - I admire you other guys!)

Christopher Gray (MetHistory-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2001 11:30 pm

The outhaul passes through the hole on the boom end and jams in the chrome "chock". If the outhaul is worn or small in diameter (<5mm) you may not have enough meat to catch the taper in the chock.

Dan Carow (carow-at-valinet.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:43 pm

My boom end has a small block conected to the hole in the boom end by a small shackle. The outhaul line goes through the block and then to the jab cleat which is the chrome fitting on the side of the boom. I'm sure this small block is not expensive.

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 7:49 pm

My mainsail does not extend all the way to the end of the boom and I have a small block fastned to the hole you mentioned with a pin and I pass the out-haul through the block and back to the starboard side of the boom about 18 inches back from the gooseneck. This allows the loosening of the out-haul after tacking or falling off to a down-wind point of sail. If the jam cleat is too far aft (close to the block) then it will be too far outboard when you need to adjust it. It also better there for your crew to tighten when you head back up-wind. You can make a momentary bounce up into the wind to luff the main, releaving the pressure and allowing the crew to tighten the out-haul, then fall off again and set course quickly. You can still do it single handed using your hiking stick, but... it's good to be captain.

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only