Center board lines

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacing centerboard lines

Postby Noley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:15 pm

As near as I can tell from all the posts and looking at my 1979 DS 2, the two-line setup seems to be pretty common. IMHO it is relatively goofy, but it's what we have work with. I just got the boat and have only sailed her twice, so am a bit clueless. I know boats pretty well, just not these!

The CB "uphaul" line on my boat has one broken strand of what I think is the standard 3-braid twist line. Works OK, but I know I need to replace it. So I'm kinda assuming this is an out-of-the-water job, and the best approach is to replace everything at once using a "while you're in there" approach. Any input on how much time this takes?

So is there a thread in here about that job? I'm sure there is but I haven't been able to find it. Am thinking I'll replace the stainless wire and might even set it up so the tackle gives more than a 2:1 advantage, as a couple of likely crew will be happier with it, and as I will single-hand a lot easier is better.

Too bad there isn't an access panel or two!
Noley

Re: Center board lines

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 am

Some CB jobs can be done with the boat on its side (in the yard or at the beach).

John Alesch (known here as jeadstx) won't be able to relate this tidbit here any more, so I'll pass it on: during the last Texas 200 he was sailing an O'Day Mariner, a boat that has a weighted CB with a single uphaul cable - which broke in the middle of Pass Cavallo - right above a sandbank. With help of few hardy souls from passing boats, he was able to put the boat on its side, pull the CB out, and fix a new uphaul (which, luckily, he had prepared for this eventuality in advance).

I imagine the DS2 can't be much worse. Amsteel would seem to make a nice uphaul, it's plenty strong and slippery.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Noley » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks, Captain Greenlake, but I could use more detail. Surely someone here had had to do this and can offer a procedure. Or at least some tips and tricks. These boats are old enough that I can't possibly be the first person to do this. I'm getting Roger Conrad's book, and maybe that will have some info.

I live in NH, but my boat is in Nova Scotia and I'll be leaving her here for the winter (in my barn/garage). If I have some info on how to proceed I may try to do the work in October when I'm back for a week.

TIA
Noley

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 pm

The CB is by far the most often discussed topic for the DSII. If nobody comes around writing it all up again, there's so much stuff out there that you should be able to locate it. Most/all of it is in the DS II only section of the forum; the CB design is pretty DSII specific.

If you scroll back in that subforum, I can see two promising threads on the first page and another one on the top of the next page (I have my forum preferences set to display 50 items per page). Or you could look in the "How to use..." section for the hints on how to best search the forum.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only