Forgetfulness or just stupid

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Forgetfulness or just stupid

Postby jsbowman6 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Do you folks have any stupid proof (me) way to remember to put all the plugs in the DSII? Twice (once by the previous owner) the mooring plug was left out taking it off the trailer. And yesterday, while sailing for a couple of hours, I had left the bilge plug (the one on the outside) was unscrewed and out. Usually I have a quart to a gallon of water in the bilge after a sail and must have left it out while draining it. I was amazed the boat didn't take on any more water than it did. The clue that it happened was while I was pulling it back up the driveway and uncoupled the lawn mower from the trailer, the boat and trailer tipped up!! Thinking I had not pulled the boat up enough, I stood there holding it and realized it would not reconnect to the lawn mower since it rolled back a bit. So I had to let it rest against the rudder lightly and walked around back to see water pouring out the bilge. This lasted about 30 minutes to an hour, then the boat relighted itself on the bulldog wheel. I've made myself a check list, but they are only good if you remember to use them.
jsbowman6

Re: Forgetfulness or just stupid

Postby Shagbark » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Timing of this post couldn't be better. Today I backed the trailer down the ramp. Hopped out of the van and was disconnecting the winch cable when my daughter started yelling that the boat was filling up with water. I had forgotten the inside plug. I usually put all plugs in before I even drive down the driveway to head to the ramp. Not only did I miss it then, but I missed it in my final walk-around before backing the boat down the ramp. I guess we'll have to resort to tieing a ribbon around our fingers.
Shagbark

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:46 pm

I've always used "the two rules of three" when launching:

1. CB up, 2. rudder up, 3. motor up.

1. Bailer plug in, 2. bilge drain plug in, 3. mooring drain plug in.

In reality, I never removed the mooring drain since I was trailering, but it helped with the "system" ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby jsbowman6 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:56 pm

This is not an elegant solution, but is kind of how we identify installed grounds at my job. I attached a bright colored line to the mooring plug then drilled a hole in the handle of the bailers plug then ran the line through the cable I attach the outboard to, then through the bilge plugs keeper. Basically to get the outboard on, I have to touch the bilge plug. Hopefully while there I'll install the other 2 plugs, but a least it's obvious if those 2 are missing. I can't believe that bilge plug being out didn't allow more water in. I did notice the boat was kind of sluggish, but blamed it on the light wind.

Tim, I like your simple solution, I think I can count to 3 twice :roll:
Attachments
.plugs.jpg
.plugs.jpg (71.03 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
jsbowman6

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm using a combination of these two system (my DS1 only has one plug, but its location is normally invisible - hidden under a shelf).

I attached the plug to a line off some point near the stern. When the plug is out, I hang it over the back. Easier to notice its status while rigging. During times when I don't expect water to collect under the tarp on the trailer, I leave it in.

This has served me (reasonably) well; failed twice in a decade - about the same rate that I forget to check an unfamiliar launch site for overhanging trees and damage another Windex :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:57 am

Don't feel alone in forgetting to put the plugs in. I've done that a couple times myself. Northing worse than having your crew say "your boat leaks" when you launch it, put you crew onboard while you park the trailer. After a couple times, I'm getting pretty good at remembering, as long as I'm not distracted when going to put the plugs in.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:27 am

One time, I caught it before the boat had fully left the trailer. Was able to pull it back out enough to drain. The other time, I was launching from a beach. Got the boat beached, but then had to bail it. The crew at the time was in an age bracket where they were already assuming that all adults are stupid, so not much of a loss :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only