centerboard cable broke. repair or remove?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: centerboard cable broke. repair or remove?

Postby seasick » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:41 pm

GreenLake wrote:If the boat is swamped (filled with water) then you need to bail it. The same inspection ports will allow you a view of and access to your bilge, in case that has water in it.

My boat has a self-bailer --(hole in the bottom of the boat)for when it rains, etc. If so much water comes over so quickly that cannot be drained by that hole it's probably going to be 'over' quickly. No chance to bail. But with decent weather I'm thinking it likely won't happen.

I did get over to the boat this eve at high tide and the boat was moving freely. So that's a plus.
seasick

Postby seasick » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:31 pm

DigitalM that's an awesome drawing. Thanks.

I tried to pull partial quotes but can't. So.. Yes the cable that broke is in the cuddy. And I wouldn't be so bold as to cut the fiberglass trunk up there except I can see where it has been cut and re-attached before. So gonna see if I can fish that cable out. Maybe. But if the only fastener is a nico-press -even for temporary use for the rest of the season--then I'm out of gas.

After reading more and more--I'm thinking this just is beyond what I can do myself. If I had a yard where I could futz with it just for fun and learning,then it would make sense. I'm not permitted to do that where I live. I do get free storage in a common lot. But no room for taking it off the trailer and dealing with it.

When I said the de-masting was biz as usual I didn't mean it's supposed to happen! ... just that apparently it Can and Does happen due to old rigging etc--and has happened to many and cutting the mast is not an unusual fix.

I so much appreciate taking the time for all the instructions and ideas. If you hadn't shared all of it I would still be in a quandry about what to do and where to start, and would feel bad paying for repair had it been a simple fix. I would have liked to salvage the rest of the season and the use of my slip rental by just removing the darn thing but it'sjust not reasonable to think I can do all that from the slip. Beaching it to work it not practical here. I'll keep you posted if I do anything else or find some pleasant surprises.
seasick

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:43 pm

Yep, the mast is actually an easy fix. The centerboard requires the right opportunity to get the boat on the ground and turn it on it's side to do the repair. If you can get that far, the repair actually becomes the easiest part of the job ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:39 am

seasick wrote:DigitalM that's an awesome drawing. Thanks.

I actually got the drawing from "Sunbird" over at this post http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5234
DigitalMechanic

Postby seasick » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:52 pm

I spoke to my buddy today who is 'all about' rolling that boat on it's side and seeing what's up. He used to be the maintenance guy here so he's not shy about taking it off the trailer and tossing it on the lawn behind the lot where the boat storage is.and taking a look at it. I'm all for it!

Now that I have some picture of how it's attached --thanks to you guys --I could describe what it might take to just remove it and we could possibly throw it back in the water soon so I can salvage the rest of my season. Maybe late Sept we'll do the same and try fixing it. Just mentioning the name of one of the local marine repair shops around here sends shivers down a boat-owners spine.

A lot of the old clammers here use flat bottom garveys, so unless I'm missing something I don't think the boat will be difficult to handle under power. We're just going out to go crabbing or swimming--nothing fancy or far.

probably during the week we'll get a chance to do this and will let you know how we're making out.
seasick

Postby carl10579 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 am

Hey Seasick. How'd you make out?

Don't pay a lot to fix it. No matter what is wrong with it, it is really kinda easy with some basic tools. Get a new cable from D&R and try and find a SS cable clamp. if in fresh a galvanized will work too. The clamp will work in place of the nicopress. And change the rope too. I Used two HQ 1/4" ropes instead of one 5/16" with the cable running between them. My ropes are knotted and epoxied in the hole. Been working fine. Very simple.

The trouble is access. I had my hull up on benches but over on its side on the shore or on the lawn will work too.

Tip --- use a new #2 Philips and also new screws (of the exact same size) for the cable. Also use a wire to fish the cable and ropes in place.

A chewed up center-board can also be repaired but with more tools.

carl
carl10579

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only