photos/ideas for upgrading daysailer II

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

photos/ideas for upgrading daysailer II

Postby dpatrick » Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 pm

I am wondering if anyone has pictures of rigging upgrades to their Daysailer 2's?
I'm considering adding barber hauler's to the jib, deck mounted blocks to lead halyards to cabin top, cam cleats on the center board trunk for the jib, and possibly replacing the centerboard cleats with cam cleats as well. I've looked pretty hard at photos around the forum but can't seem to find anything.
Also at some point want to set up for spinnaker. Does anyone use topping lift and fore guy or is the boat too small for that much?
dpatrick

Re: photos/ideas for upgrading daysailer II

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 06, 2017 12:05 am

The galleries (including mine) are filled with such pics. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to search them for specific keywords? Greenlake?

Never had a spinnaker on mine, so will leave that answer to others.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 06, 2017 12:45 am

On the question of spinnaker rigging, the most recent discussions that went in to some detail can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5197 and here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5131

About making your own spinnaker pole, there is this viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5487

This thread has some observations on the kinds of rope I have used for various lines on my boat: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4892

People definitely use topping lift and foreguy, but it is common to replace one of them with a bungee cord. On my boat, I use a bungee cord for the topping lift, meaning I get to only adjust a single line to set the height of the spinnaker pole.

The gallery can only be searched per album. There's a general album and then there are many users' personal albums. With a bit of spelunking you might find interesting stuff in these albums. (If so, it would be nice if you shared some of your findings in a forum post, so they become more accessible).

Here's a thread from three years ago where we discussed rigging and setup issues for a new DSII owner. It has a nice diagram of spinnaker rigging, but for a generic boat, not the DS.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4933

Good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Sat May 06, 2017 2:55 am

Most of my rigging updates are shown or discussed in the posts that Greenlake listed.

I have been racing my DS II in the last few years and have added spinnaker (one year ago), barber inhaulers, jib cams on the centerboard trunk and a few other small things. I got my spinnaker and spinnaker pole from Intensity Sails. Some pictures of things I have done to my DS II are in my personal photos. I have added a few things when I used the DS II to sail on the Texas 200 and some of those changes can be found in articles I wrote in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Those articles can be found on the Texas 200 web page in the archives for those years.

A friend of mine that races his DS II recently added a traveler similar to the way the DS I boats have their boats rigged. We both race our boats against each other.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby dpatrick » Sat May 06, 2017 8:49 am

Tim Webb,
I checked out some of your photos! That's what I'm talking about!
Are the blocks with cam cleats at the base of your mast for halyards? that looks like a great idea. I was thinking of mounting 2 double upright/ vertical blocks to direct lines to the cabin top, but the bump up at the back of the cabin top is a little tricky for mounting. I really just want to lose the tiny cleats on my mast! So maybe they don't need to be lead to the back of the cabin. It would also be nice to douse the sails in a hurry!
dpatrick

Postby dpatrick » Sat May 06, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks everybody!
dpatrick

Postby dpatrick » Sat May 06, 2017 10:35 am

This is what I'm thinking for leading halyards, and future topping lift and foreguy. Double upright leads , one on each side of the mast on cabin top (this way I dont need to remove the cleats on the mast). Lead to these sweet little mini jammers by Spinlock.I know this is maybe a little silly but why not?

Spinlock SUA Double Manual Mini Jammer 1/4" to 3/8”

http://www.atlanticriggingsupply.com/spsuadomamij.html

Harken 29 mm Upright Lead Bullet Block

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?nam ... &id=170570
dpatrick

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 06, 2017 5:51 pm

dpatrick wrote:Tim Webb,
I checked out some of your photos! That's what I'm talking about!
Are the blocks with cam cleats at the base of your mast for halyards? that looks like a great idea. I was thinking of mounting 2 double upright/ vertical blocks to direct lines to the cabin top, but the bump up at the back of the cabin top is a little tricky for mounting. I really just want to lose the tiny cleats on my mast! So maybe they don't need to be lead to the back of the cabin. It would also be nice to douse the sails in a hurry!

Yes, the Harken swivel blocks/cams at the mast base are for the halyards. I got them from intensitysails.com, but don't see them on their site anymore. Before I put on the swivels, the halyards went through cheek blocks at the base, then forward to the two fixed cams on the cuddy lip. When I added the vang, that halyard arrangement interfered with it, so I went to the swivels. The fixed cams were removed and "re-purposed" after the photos were taken.

I can't speak to any of your spinnaker questions, as The Red Witch never had a spin.

Good luck!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 06, 2017 8:36 pm

If you want to spend a bit of money on rope clutches, why not? For halyards they have the advantage that it's unlikely that the halyard will slip out of them, which I have seen happen - on the water! - with cam cleats.

I'm content with the horn cleats on the mast, which also don't tend to come undone; they allow me to park the halyard tails on the mast, which is something that has both advantages and disadvantages. They are kept out of the cockpit (good), but visible (neutral) and can offer something for the jib sheet to get hung up in (bad) although that isn't really happening enough for me to worry about it.

For any lines that you might want to release quickly with a flick of the wrist from the cockpit, cam cleats would be better; also for lines that you need to let out a lot during trimming. (It's a one handed operation with a cam cleat, but takes both hands with a rope clutch).

For spinnaker halyard and downhaul I use simple fairleads instead of either swivel or cheek blocks. See one of my photos. Super inexpensive and they have worked fine.

For the jib halyard I am thinking of adding a 2:1 purchase. The existing halyard would need to be shortened and the purchase attached to it at the side of the mast. The tail can be led aft like in your scenario. That setup makes it so much easier to adjust the jib tension.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby dpatrick » Sun May 07, 2017 10:21 am

Yeah I agree with the cam cleats. I tend to over think these things. The real objective is to be able to let the halyards go in a hurry ! I think I'll save the rope clutch idea for my Pearson Electra restoration.
dpatrick

Postby Alan » Sun May 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Don't think I've posted this one yet.

Cleats on mast, furler (3).jpg
Cleats on mast, furler (3).jpg (250.64 KiB) Viewed 14713 times

I definitely agree on the cam cleats. There are four: main halyard (red line), jib halyard (green line), downhaul (white line) and topping lift (blue line). I left the horn cleats on the mast, just in case . . .

Our esteemed moderator, GreenLake, makes a good point about cam cleats letting go when you don't want them to, but the tradeoff is easy release when you do want them to let go. My crew, who has a talent for lowering and neatly flaking the mainsail in a hurry, is a big fan of the main halyard block's cam cleat and swiveling ability, and that pretty much settles the question for this particular flotilla.

Forward is a jib furler. The wooden plate with rail brackets on it is the mounting plate for a bowsprit, which supports a Doyle Utility Power Sail. It has its own furler. There are fairleads for the furler lines at the top front of the cuddy, and on my desk are some more fairleads which will be used to route the furler lines along the center of the foredeck, so the sides of the foredeck will be clear of tripping hazards.
Alan

Postby talbot » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 am

What's frustrating about this thread is that every single proposed modification in the original post has been discussed, implemented, remodified, photographed . . . But because of the indexing thing, the whole dialog has to be recreated. Sigh.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 am

Clarify?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I was referring to the photo indexing problem mentioned at the top of the post.
I'm sure all of these mods are well-documented. I just can't remember where.
I suppose it doesn't hurt to repeat the discussions. Most of us love to talk about our boats.
Also, some of our clever modifications turn out to have negative effects we didn't anticipate.
The advice we offer today might be different from that of a few years ago.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Searching for images is possible, the access is a bit hidden (and the forum internal search works best with single words).

To search images: go to the gallery. Near the top of the page, on the right hand side, part way down is the word "Search" (next to "Mark albums read").

If you click on the word "Search", you get a search dialog, and you can enter words like "spinnaker".
(Do NOT use the "Search...." box in the blue banner; that one is for forum posts only.)

From what I can tell, the search looks for both words in the "image name" and the "comment" section for the given image.

Here's a direct link to the search page for the gallery: http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/gallery/search.php. As you can see, it allows you to limit the search to a particular user's images.

Here's the search results that are pulled up when you search for "spinnaker": http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/gallery/search.php?keywords=spinnaker&terms=all&username=&sk=t&sd=d&e=0&submit=Search

If people leave the image name the same as their local file name (for example "DSC 0138 640x480") and do not enter a description, then the search has nothing to go by; however, I easily found about 20 images related to spinnakers. If you have anything in your galleries that you think is useful for others, make sure to use a keyword as part of the image name and add a short description in the comment. (Looks like you can edit name and description for existing images as well - haven't actually tested whether it saves them to the same index number, but would expect so).

Now, Tim is correct, it's not possible to search for "DSII rigging" and expect to get reasonable results. However, "Rigging" by itself gets about 2 dozen hits, some more useful than others.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Day Sailer II Only