Single-hand mast raising/lowering

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Single-hand mast raising/lowering

Postby SpeckledTrout » Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pm

I've enjoyed my DSII (5668) for a few mos now and would appreciate tips/photos from others who've rigged a means to solo raise/lower the mast. With similar small boats owned, I fashioned a tall, slender mast cradle that temporarily fit in the gudgeons. It permitted me to set the mast in there and have a good angle to pull the mast up with the forward stay (or lowered it the same way). However, this DSII mast is quite a bit taller, heavier and the tabernackle base seems ripe for getting torqued badly if the mast sways a bit.

Welcome any thoughts/recommendations from others who have rigged a means to do this.
Regards,
Andrew
DSII #5996
SpeckledTrout

Re: Single-hand mast raising/lowering

Postby klb67 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 pm

For my DSII, the front mast support is up by the tongue, and the rear mast support mounts to the gudgeons. The first thing I do is make sure the boat is on a flat surface pointed into the wind. I slide the mast back the boat until I can install the rear pin in the tabernacle. The mast is level and resting on the rear mast support. Side stays are attached. I attach a length of line to the stem head using a bowline knot, put a loop in the other end and attach the jib halyard. I lift the mast with one hand and keep some tension on the jib halyard, then raise the mast all the way up, pull up all slack and then cleat the jib halyard to hold the mast in place. I insert the second tabernacle pin and then install the front stay, pulling on the jib halyard to create enough slack to install the stay.

I find it's much harder if the boat is not flat or if there is a wind from the side. I agree the factory tabernacle is not made to keep the mast from twisting.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby jeadstx » Wed May 24, 2017 3:18 am

My raising is similar to klb67. I keep the side stays attached. Move the mast back on the stern support until I can put the rear pin in. I attach a line to either the head stay or jib halyard (when using the jib halyard, make sure it is cleated). I run that line through the bow cleat to the cockpit. Since the DS mast isn't that heavy, I push it up to vertical and cleat the line attached to the head stay or halyard to act as a forestay until I can attach the forestay. Before I attach the fore stay I put the forward pin in place. Then I tighten the turnbuckle on the fore stay.

Before raising the mast I also attach my wind vane to the mast head. It is a good idea to be pointed into the wind if possible, side winds can be a problem if they are too strong.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby carl10579 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:28 am

Me too but I also try to set up with the boat pointing downhill. This way gravity helps keep the mast forward.
carl10579

Return to Day Sailer II Only