New to sailing; bought DS2... rigging problems

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New to sailing; bought DS2... rigging problems

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks in advance everyone. I took a sail lesson in the Keys this winter and now bought a DS 2 as a beginner. I've set the mast and attached all the stays. I've also put the boom in the slot in the mast and attached the main-sheet to hold it in place for now. I'm not sure if i'm using the main halyard for a topping lift or if this even uses a topping lift. I'm also not sure how to attach the sails.

Very confused at this point. My apologies up front for my lack of knowledge and poor terminology. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

smitrock
smitrock63

Re: New to sailing; bought DS2... rigging problems

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 am

Most DaySailers are not rigged with a topping lift, although some people have added them. To keep the end of the boom up at the dock, you can definitely use the main halyard.

The main sheet typically has a bolt rope that slides into a groove on the mast (and boom). There should be a pin for the tack (bottom forward corner of the main) and at the end of the boom some way to rig an outhaul to pull the clew back and stretch the foot of the sail. Some bots just use a simple line from the clew to an eye at the end of boom and then forward to some cleat (usually at the side of the boom). For easier adjustments, some people may have added a small block to give additional purchase, but if you don't see that, then it's as described above.

The tack of the jib attaches to the stem-head fitting at the front of the boat, and a pair of jib sheets is attached to the clew; I'm sure you've figured that part out already.

If it's a basic boat, it will have a main and jib halyard, often lead outside of the mast and cleated at the sides of the boat; some people have added blocks to lead them back on the deck for cleats there. Without more info (pictures) it's hard to know what setup you have.

For the boom there may be a small line at the gooseneck (forward joint) that allows the boom to be pulled down to its stop.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I need to reduce the size of some pics. First though, thanks for the reply. Already very helpful. There is a line at the top of the mast, that, is fixed to the top and for now that is holding up the boom.

On the boom where it fits into the slot of the mast, there is a round metal fixture that slides into the slot, and, I believe the main halyard would thread through and fix that so that the main sheet can be raised and lowered, but not sure that's correct. But, if that line is for the main, then, I don't see another line for raising or lowering the jib.
smitrock63

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:07 pm

20170606_192529[1].jpg
20170606_192529[1].jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
smitrock63

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm

20170606_193257[2].jpg
20170606_193257[2].jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
smitrock63

Postby klb67 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 am

The main daysailer site under technicals has some rigging guides.
http://www.daysailer.org/Manuals

The top of your mast will have a masthead with sheaves in it to control the main sail halyard. The jib halysrd will run up to a block on the front of the mast near the front stay. Both halyards if external to the mast will run down the mast and through deck or cheek blocks at the base of the mast, and back to cleats. You described having a line fixed at the top of the mast and attached to the Boom. That would be a topping lift that you would disconnect from the boom before you raise the main sail. Or it's possible the top lift comes down to a block and then forward on the boom and cleated, so it can be left on the boom but eased so your boom can properly swing when sailing. The Mainsail will have a bolt rope or lugs that slide in the track on the rear of the mast - just feed the sail rope or lugs in as you pull up the halyard bit by bit.

Greenlake covered the rest.

If you still aren't sure how to raise the sail, try this link. It's how to raise the sail on a Rhodes 19 which has a similar system. I could not find a video for the daysailer. Obviously her halyards were already rigged.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqi5cIR3izk

I'm not sure where you're located but if you have other sailboats on the lake you are sailing on, see if there's a sailing club there. You can find experienced sailors to help you out. Good luck.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby smitrock63 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:21 am

20170607_193841.jpg
20170607_193841.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
smitrock63

Postby smitrock63 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:48 am

There is a sheave at the top of the mast, which is for the main halyard. The halyard is external and ties off on a cleat at the base of the mast (i think). The luff of the main sail threads through the mast. The jib head attaches to the jib halyard block about 3/4 up the fore side of the mast. The tack of the jib sail attaches to a turn-buckle attachment at the bow. At the clew of the jib sail, the sheets run back to a cleating system aft of the mast.

Hoping the wording here is a little more sailor like! Haa. Honestly posted this for others reference but note.... I THINK this is correct! Not absolute. Again... I'm a novice, or, beginner novice!!

The last persons post.... you are pretty much right on as far as I can tell. Thank you again!!!!!!!
smitrock63

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

When you post images, you don't need to make them the size of postage stamps. Yours are kind of hard to make out :)

The image dimensions are actually not restricted, however the file size is limited to 256KB. So you need to have a tool that can select a higher jpeg compression. (Usually, a tool will allow you to select "medium" quality. With that setting you can size an image to 1200x800 and still stay under the storage size limit. (At maximum quality, even a 900x600 pixel image will be too large).

If you don't have a handy tool (like the free "Resize My Photos" for Windows) you can try e-mailing an image to yourself. Many systems will offer to reduce the file size when e-mailing. After receiving the resized file, save it to disk and then upload it here.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only