How easy is it to capsize a DS II and will they sink?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

How easy is it to capsize a DS II and will they sink?

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:07 pm

GreenLake wrote:And a PS.

You can tie off the tiller in the final position. If you let it go and it comes forward, you'll start sailing.

Since you are very knowledgeable; one other question. Is it very easy to capsize one of these, and, will they sink?
smitrock63

Re: How to heave to in my DS II

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 pm

This is a different topic, so I moved it to a thread of its own.

We have DSII sailors here on the forum who have capsized a DSII -- they may be able to give you some specific answers.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: How easy is it to capsize a DS II and will they sink?

Postby MookaCB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:08 pm

I have never capsized it, but have had the mast parallel with the surface of the water at times. Some quick climbing up and swinging a leg over (straddling the rail) pulled it back. It was a pretty big gust and it happened slowly.

This has only happened when I was pushing too hard in a race.

Will it sink? I guess anything can sink but the DS2 has some serious flotation compartments that should keep it mostly above the water. Double check your inspection ports and plugs to make sure they are sealed.
MookaCB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm

On older boats, check the hull-deck joint in the back of the boat. I've seen boats where it has failed (probably as result of some earlier "close encounters" with a dock). If that joint has failed, water can get in between the hulls negating the intended flotation. (Some people stuff the space with pool noodles or empty, sealed, plastic bottles to ensure that there's reserve flotation even if water can get in).

I sail a DS1 and have not managed to capsize it. Often, when not already heeled to the max, the boat will respond to a sudden gust by rounding up sharply in a kind of corkscrew motion, heeling just far enough to bury the rubrail. I've seen that happen several times near hills or tall structures (bridges) where gusts may be accompanied by big shifts in direction.

Overall, the DS is pretty forgiving and tends to respond slowly enough that there's ample time to take action. But it's definitely possible to capsize it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby smitrock63 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Thank you all. The last time I had it out I had some water coming over the rub-rail towards the stern. I let the sail out and corrected it, but, felt like I was close.
smitrock63

Postby jeadstx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 pm

My DS II capsized with about 400 pounds of camping gear, water, and other supplies (for a multi day sailing event) on board. The hull flooded, but the boat did not sink. I do have "pool noodles" stuffed in the bilge of the hull. The boat was able to be righted.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Day Sailer II Only